Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 04:43 AM   #241
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks!

That was a lot of work! But I see it worked out very nicely in the end.

Great you still enjoy them!
Old 7th December 2017, 08:56 AM   #242
MrBoat is offline MrBoat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Ok, thanks!

That was a lot of work! But I see it worked out very nicely in the end.

Great you still enjoy them!
I had the cutouts done in about 30-45 mins. The precut with the knife assures that when I get close with the router it will indicate the fine line without tear out, which left at most a light paring of any residuals. I enjoyed the process, regardless.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:45 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

I think I'll follow your procedure.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 15th December 2017, 04:01 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Oooohh..

Looks like I have 4 Visaton B80 coming my way, for real!

They were meant for another project, but I will probably put them in my little clones to see how they fare there. I'm expecting just as good, and we'll see if it can even be better than with the TC9s.

They would rack the price of the little clones much higher though.
Old 15th December 2017, 04:54 AM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oooohh..

Looks like I have 4 Visaton B80 coming my way, for real!

They were meant for another project, but I will probably put them in my little clones to see how they fare there. I'm expecting just as good, and we'll see if it can even be better than with the TC9s.

They would rack the price of the little clones much higher though.
I'm still rocking the clones as originally built. What a buncha BS to be taken aback by $12 drivers with as many expensive speakers I have in this house. I am finding these things can be EQ'd with the sub to just about any flavor you like for any reasonable room, and near field as well. I have some Peerless SLS 8's I am going to try and mate them with since I have DSP and EQ capabilities.
Old 16th December 2017, 06:20 AM   #246
diyAudio Member

I know!

That little TC9 sounds pretty good by itself, and with a touch of EQ, it will impress (well, there are some you just can't win...).

But... I just received the Visaton B80 today! Feels like Xmas!
Nice and shiny little units.

It was a test as I wasn't sure they would make it all the way here... my address is quite complicated and downright confusing when translated in English... which needs to be translated back in Chinese by the local countryside post office.... nevertheless, they did arrive and now I know I can order without the fear of being lost in transit!

I have one problem though.

The bezel is much larger than the TC9, so, if I want to try them in the Nola clones, I need to make the holes much bigger, but then, the TC9s won't fit later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171216_150159.jpg (547.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 16th December 2017, 06:33 AM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know!

That little TC9 sounds pretty good by itself, and with a touch of EQ, it will impress (well, there are some you just can't win...).

But... I just received the Visaton B80 today! Feels like Xmas!
Nice and shiny little units.

It was a test as I wasn't sure they would make it all the way here... my address is quite complicated and downright confusing when translated in English... which needs to be translated back in Chinese by the local countryside post office.... nevertheless, they did arrive and now I know I can order without the fear of being lost in transit!

I have one problem though.

The bezel is much larger than the TC9, so, if I want to try them in the Nola clones, I need to make the holes much bigger, but then, the TC9s won't fit later.
Could always glue blanks back in the holes and route them again to fit the TC9's.

When I built my continuums, I tried them raw first and veneered them after all the holes were cut/rounded over etc. I ended up epoxying in new cookies in the holes so I could rout/round over the subsequent veneer tight. Worked like a charm.

ETA: Is always nice getting new drivers. Which is something I need to quit doing. I have quite a collection going here.
Old 17th December 2017, 04:01 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Oh, c'mon... getting new drivers feels like Christmas!

Especially some that measure so well... There is no EQ whatsoever here, the only thing I did was to measure 10 degrees off. Straight on has a slight rise after 10kHz, but a 10 degrees tilt makes it almost flat. That is a well-behaved driver. No shout, no need for a notch anywhere.

After taking a look at WinISD, I think those B80 would like to be in a 6 litres vented box instead... they feel a little cramped in the original Nola clone version.
I also checked them in a MLTL, but T/S values were a bit off... online it says Qts of 0.63, but the drivers I got have a Qts of 0.81.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid-nola-b80-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nola B80.jpg (74.4 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by perceval; 17th December 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18th December 2017, 06:33 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh, c'mon... getting new drivers feels like Christmas!

Especially some that measure so well... There is no EQ whatsoever here, the only thing I did was to measure 10 degrees off. Straight on has a slight rise after 10kHz, but a 10 degrees tilt makes it almost flat. That is a well-behaved driver. No shout, no need for a notch anywhere.

After taking a look at WinISD, I think those B80 would like to be in a 6 litres vented box instead... they feel a little cramped in the original Nola clone version.
I also checked them in a MLTL, but T/S values were a bit off... online it says Qts of 0.63, but the drivers I got have a Qts of 0.81.

Click the image to open in full size.
Today I built a little Peerless SLS 8" sealed sub to go with the NB. This little system is tough to beat. I have another SLS 8" driver so I may as well build a stereo pair to go with these speakers, also considering I have another channel of an Inuke dsp amp not being used.

Old 18th December 2017, 07:22 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

That is a tiny sub... Did you take any measurements?

And yes, especially if you have the extra channel, stereo subs with the Nola clones work very well... and having two, it really helps in filling room nodes caused by the first sub.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybridHide this!Advertise here!