Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2016, 05:11 AM   #11
Xaborus is offline Xaborus  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey guys I modeled xmax of the driver in the ported .25 ft ^3 @ 59hz enclosure, and on the dipole driver.

Xmax is achieved @ 2.6W per driver in the ported enclosures, while xmax is achieved @ 4W per driver in the open baffle configuration. There is NO NEED for a crossover to protect the open baffle driver. Both can run full range.

This means we should be getting a cardioid response throughout the frequency range.

Simply connect the drivers in parallel for a 4 Ohm nominal load.

The sensitivity of the TC9FD is 83.5 dB 1W/1m. Which means 89.5dB 1W/1m for 4 drivers if im not mistaken. If we take the safe route of 2.6W per speaker driver.. so 10 Watts total, this means a maximum output of around 99dB at 1 meter.
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:25 AM   #12
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

They (Nola) do mention 90dB for the satellites...

Just for fun, I'm going to make an open baffle add-on to put on top of my TABAQs... it should be quite interesting.
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:31 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
They (Nola) do mention 90dB for the satellites...

Just for fun, I'm going to make an open baffle add-on to put on top of my TABAQs... it should be quite interesting.
Yup, this is on my "soon" list of speakers to prototype. The only improvement I can add to this design, other than the possible omission of a hi-pass crossover, is that you want your 2 speaker drivers per channel as close as possible due to comb filtering. There is a big debate on whether comb filtering is audible or not though, so don't let hold you back from experimenting.

Last edited by Xaborus; 22nd November 2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:10 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yep, I thought about the comb filtering, as the TC9FD would be placed a bit far away from the TAVAQ's driver.... that's why I said "just for fun."

Maybe I'll just have the TC9 fire up.... or backwards.
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:38 AM   #15
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Nola Brio satellite:

Best Sound award at 2016 CES by AV Showrooms? I am not surprised that the lowly paper cones TC9FD in a 2.1 satellite system can sound good, but to be the best sound at CES is kind of surprising. Maybe I was onto something with my dual driver Nautaloss? Not open baffle on top but sounds amazingly good for a $26 speaker.

The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

Click the image to open in full size.

When used with a sub crossed below 120Hz system was quite impressive. Keep in mind that the Brio includes a powered sub, piano black gloss finish, and that expensive coupling cap

Anyhow, to be profitable there is a 5x to 10x markup in price from cost to make so that puts system at $350 to $700 in parts and assembly. Sounds about right as 250w class AB amp driven 10in sub is probably at least $150 to $300. The cabinets are not cheap.

It's a fair price for a commercial system and you can do for less if you make your own.

1.5 way on satellites probably was used to get around the baffle step loss below 1khz - port is tuned really high around 90Hz is my guess. This combines with high Pass on open baffle to allow a lot of power handling because the sub plate amp serves as the main amp and crossover.

Last edited by xrk971; 22nd November 2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

They have a 8" sub...

Yeah, X, I believe they have been reading your threads on "Best bang..." and the "3 inch comparative...", amongst others like your Nautaloss...

I blame the prices on the AV business model. Just getting a nice room at one of those audio shows is something like $5,000. Then, the cost of going there, carrying/shipping the equipment, having personnel around for the duration of the show, rooms to sleep there for a couple of nights....

But, without the shows, it would take more time to get recognition... kind of a catch-22.

If you have to add the cost of a distributor, it doubles right there.
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:09 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Just came across these new drivers on PE. The published FR is unfortunately 1/3 octave smoothed, and very low sensitivity. But check out the polar response! They even publish the power response. The rear of the driver looks to be the most open of any BMR I've seen. This would be a very interesting driver to use in this design.

Tectonic Elements TEBM35C10-4 BMR 2" Full-Range Speaker 4 Ohm

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...spec-sheet.pdf
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:17 AM   #18
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Bensturgeon - Don't know if you're aware but I would think that even though this is a small speaker, it would still need to be placed at least 3ft away from any wall to sound its best just like most other open baffles. The lxmini is supposedly an exception but I've never heard one.
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:24 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Bensturgeon - Don't know if you're aware but I would think that even though this is a small speaker, it would still need to be placed at least 3ft away from any wall to sound its best just like most other open baffles. The lxmini is supposedly an exception but I've never heard one.
Well I might be wrong, but doesn't a monopole and dipole add to a cardioid response? If I'm right.. this speaker should be cardioid over a large bandwidth just like the lx mini.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:13 PM   #20
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaborus View Post
Well I might be wrong, but doesn't a monopole and dipole add to a cardioid response? If I'm right.. this speaker should be cardioid over a large bandwidth just like the lx mini.
Beats the heck out of me. I'll have to do some studying and try to catch up with you on that concept.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybridHide this!Advertise here!