Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

stepping up Fonkens
stepping up Fonkens
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Jojo8080 is offline Jojo8080  United States
diyAudio Member

Default stepping up Fonkens

So,
my first build over a year ago was a set of uFonken with the ff85 drivers. I love these speakers. Could be a "first love" first speaker build thing but they do sound amazing

I have build and am giving away a set of TABAQ quarter waves with the Tang Band 4' driver. These sound great as well but different.

I love the sound of both of these speakers and would like to replace the uFonkens with their small drivers for something of similar quality and detail.

I was looking into the mFonken with the FE 127e drivers. Perhaps these will sound similar to the uFonkens and provide more of a "room filling" sound. My current setup is uFonkens 6' apart and listening 6-8 ft away. I have a large open floor room that is 20' X 15' and the 15' section extends into another 20' X 20' room. Basically a big rectangle 20'X35" with 9' ceilings. I am using a Sansui 210 stereo with an Oppo DVD player through the Aux for mostly CD set on a shelf that the speakers will sit on at sitting ear height.

Will the mFonken fit the bill or am I asking for something else?
Old 16th November 2016, 03:59 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Being familiar with the genesis of the "Fonken" name, design philosophy and evolution into a dizzying array of boxes for drivers from the size of the 85WK much larger models of many brands, I'd opine that you might want to look at adding bass support and high pass filtering on the existing micros instead. Relieving the little guys from as much of the bottom 2 or 3 octaves as possible will greatly reduce distortion and power compression. Unfortunately the Sansui doesn't have external pre-power amp loop, so look for a sub /amp that has a passive speaker level out.

The FE127 was the first Fostex driver we tried in the "mini-onken" which was originally designed for the CSS FR125, and even though it (127) will deliver more output and low end, as far as I'm concerned the WK series offer better performance than the old FExx7 series across the board.

Of course, if you're looking for a big step up, the Mark Audio Pluvia 7 in either a floorstanding MLTL - Pensil, etc- or the FH3 would deliver in spades without breaking the bank

Last edited by chrisb; 16th November 2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 16th November 2016, 04:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ughhh,
Don't tempt me with the FH3. I have been wanting to build these guys for a while. my only worry is that they will not fit on the top of a gorila rack that stores my records. I do have the option to place them floor standing next to the rack but this will place one right in be tween the shelving and a sofa. The other would be backed up to the rear wall.

The cramped space and lack of ability to place in corners has always had me dissuaded from building.

I will attempt to post a picture of my setup to best explain.
Old 16th November 2016, 05:32 AM   #4
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

stepping up Fonkens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo8080 View Post
Basically a big rectangle 20'X35" with 9' ceilings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo8080 View Post
Don't tempt me with the FH3. I have been wanting to build these guys for a while.

The cramped space and lack of ability to place in corners has always had me dissuaded from building.
So you've got a big space, that's full of stuff. I was thinking the FHXL + A10p would work really well in your space, but may not actually fit?

Another option would be to use your uFonkens with woofer modules, but that would require bi-amping which you may not want to try.

jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg (88.1 KB, 213 views)
Old 16th November 2016, 01:20 PM   #5
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

You can do a passive xover with a fast but it can be expensive unless you're willing to scooch
the freq up a little higher. Not sure what freq defines a fast, 300hz? Somewhere between 300 - 500 hz you're suspended between the divine fast and the evil 2-way.
Old 16th November 2016, 03:54 PM   #6
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Adding a subwoofer or woofers to the system is the evolutionary approach from the Fonken POV. The need for filtering and extra amplifier channels kind-of retires your Sansui though.... potentially.
Old 16th November 2016, 08:25 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

What those two guys said, plus my own clarification:<br />
<br />
As the Sansui lacks a pre-out/main-in loop, the PLLXO b-i-amp approach I'd usually recommend as a cheap and nasty taste test of active system isn't attainable. What I didn't make clear above in my comment re sub-amps, is that there are at least a few such as <br />
<a href="http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803" target="_blank">Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier</a><br />
<br />
with a rudimentary speaker level XO built in. Absent a variable level line input, these would be connected to the Sansui's speaker outputs, with the uFonkens connected to the plate amp's speaker out terminals. <br />
<br />
While the speaker level XO is rudimentary :<br />
Quote:
• Speaker level high-pass outputs 6 dB/octave at approximately 180 Hz @ 4 ohms, 90 Hz @ 8 ohms (i.e. 220 uF electrolytic capacitor)
, it's probably better than nothing, and the plate amp costs less than "hipster / audiophile approved" quality discrete parts for an outboard passive 2-way XO in this frequency range. A single 6-8" woofer could be sufficient.

Of course, if you want to get spendy, something like Jeff posted above definitely works; it just ain't a simple one-box solution - unless you go for something like a 4-channel amp with internal bandpass filters. Of course that assumes some sort of upstream master volume control. I recently did that with a Sure digital amp board and buffered PLLXO, for my wife's upstairs system and am quite pleased with the results.

edit - hey mods, what's up with those funky <brackets>? after a few keystroke errors, I hesitate to further edit this post to remove

cheers

Last edited by chrisb; 16th November 2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A picture of the room
Also have a sub and need to get a plate amp, bash amp did not last long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (757.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 16th November 2016, 11:01 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

one of the lines in above post was supposed to be a link to a Parts Express plate amp I though might be a valid candidate

Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

This is one of probably a few with various name plates that includes a rudimentary speaker level hi-pass XO.

One of the critiques I've heard of the BASH amps - and it certainly applies to other brands as well - is the pi$$-poor thermal dissipation (not) engineered into the design. I've been happy to share the experiences of a buddy of mine who's a speaker repair tech at long established local hi-fi shop. Huge failure rate with plate amps built into almost every brand they carry in stock - and in many cases the replacement amps are "unobtanium". Even when a warranty period has long since expired, and you'd be willing to pay for a replacement, they're either not available at all, or are at such ridiculous prices that you could by an aftermarket piece like above for far less.

oops, let's get off that soapbox
Old 16th November 2016, 11:15 PM   #10
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

What height would you say the drivers are now? Even a good 4" woofer in a sealed box under your ufonken's might work or you could set some side firing woofers behind them. For a fullrange bookshelf for that room I'd look at alpair 10.3 or 12p designs on frugalphile or email Dave at planet10. Does anyone know if Scott has worked up some baby labs for 10.3?

stepping up FonkensHide this!Advertise here!