Does the "NXT" / "New Transducers Limited" Company Still Exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first project with the BMRs is to create good quality Computer Speakers,
for listening to music, and watching movies.

So I don't need alot of volume,
but I do want good sound quality..

So I think 2 BMR drivers in each speaker should be enough..
(maybe even one?)

Thank you,
so the smaller (2") one will be purchased..

Really it's up to you. There is no problem with buying a smaller quantity first, then buying more if they dont get loud enough or distort too much at your preferred volume. (more drivers at the same volume means less power per driver = less distortion)

Just make sure you know how to wire them no matter how many you have. You want to present a 4ohm or 8ohm load to your amplifier.

Wiring Diagrams | Eminence Speaker

Honestly, If you want a really simple computer speaker with a proven speaker driver that will absolutely sound great and will definitely get loud enough, I'd recommend the TC9FD, which is $11 from parts express right now. You would only need one per speaker channel (two total). It's all up to you though!

Right now in another thread we're doing a clone/homage of the Nola Brio Trio's which retail for $3,500 using the exact same drivers- the TC9FD. You need 2 per speaker (4 total) for a total of $44. Sensitivity for the pair of speakers are about 90dB/1W. I know it's hard to believe a $3,500 award winning speaker that uses $44 in speaker drivers..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...-building-open-baffle-bass-reflex-hybrid.html

Last edited:
Really it's up to you. There is no problem with buying a smaller quantity first, then buying more if they dont get loud enough or distort too much at your preferred volume. (more drivers at the same volume means less power per driver = less distortion)

Just make sure you know how to wire them no matter how many you have. You want to present a 4ohm or 8ohm load to your amplifier.

Wiring Diagrams | Eminence Speaker
Great link!
It is like in resistors - the laws for series or parallel connection.
I will take care to note the load I present to the amplifier.

Honestly, If you want a really simple computer speaker with a proven speaker driver that will absolutely sound great and will definitely get loud enough, I'd recommend the TC9FD, which is $11 from parts express right now. You would only need one per speaker channel (two total). It's all up to you though!
You know, this is the second time I am being recommended about the TC9FD driver..
The first time was a week ago:
From my own tests I've also noted coated paper cones tend to sound quite relaxed. If you haven't, you should test out Vifa TC9FD. It has a coated paper cone and sounds very nice to me.

If 2 persons recommend it, then I guess it really is something good..
Also it appears the first one in Part Express under Full Range drivers, when sorted by popularity,
so it means many people buy it..

Last edited:
If you haven't seen yet, Xrk did a bunch of blind test threads with dozens of full-rangers consisting of 4 rounds total. The TC9FD came out on the top 5.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-a.html

3 out of the top 5 were variations of the TC9FD. ;]

Imho, the TC9FD has superior distortion characistics to the TG9FD. The Scan-Speak versions of the TC9/TG9 are very costly. The only driver I'd consider truly superior to the TC9FD is the Visaton B80, but it's also incredibly expensive and has worse power handling characteristics.

So in summary, don't be fooled by the price of the TC9FD!

If you haven't seen yet, Xrk did a bunch of blind test threads with dozens of full-rangers consisting of 4 rounds total. The TC9FD came out on the top 5.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-a.html

3 out of the top 5 were variations of the TC9FD. ;]
Nice thread
Altho the way it was performed is somewhat funny.

If I understand correctly,
he recorded the sound playing of every speaker, using a microphone, saved an MP3 file,
and then people listen at home, using their speakers/headphones, to these recordings.

This means that (1) his Microphone, and (2) the listeners Speakers/Headphones, have an effect on the way the original speaker would sound to them..

IMHO, A good way to do the test, would've been to do it in reality:
just the tested speakers, without the extra 2 mediators of a Microphone and Speakers/Headphones..

To do it in reality, I assume choosing some audio related convention as a point of meeting between many users here, would be a good way to do it, since many people live in many cities and even countries.

Despite all that, I do take the warm recommendation about the TC9FD,
and will buy a pair of it.. :)

BTW,
that test was done for 2"-4" drivers.

What in your opinion is a good Full Range driver with a bigger diameter size?
Like 6.5" for example, or even 8"..

I tend to like large diameter speakers, I like how they sound and I noticed it's one of the most influential parameters for me when listening to a speaker..

Last edited:
Imho a lot of work shows that a flat & smooth response is preferred over anything else. The Visaton B80's that won the tests measures ruler flat and very smooth.

The best larger fullrange driver that I know of is the new SB Acoustics Satori MR-16P-4. SB Acoustics 6.5" SATORI MR16P-4

The response is +/- 2.5db from around 175hz to 12khz on an IEC testing baffle! That's incredible! Putting it in an enclosure will flatten out the bottom end response from whatever the enclosures -3db point is on up & there is still usable hi end response after 12k. I'd say 15-16k.

Plus you have that sweet and smooth paper come sound :).

SB Acoustics is by far the best driver company that exists today imho.

Honestly, this is my best way of putting it.

The BMR's may be really really good. The problem is nobody has tried them, so you're going into uncharted territory. They definitely have a distinct advantage over normal cone drivers- they have extremely uniform polar response. They may sound great, they may sound terrible. You're really gambling your money. I'll never tell anybody to NOT do something, but I don't want to mislead you that this will sound good. Its unknown as of now.

The TC9FD's are a very cheap driver that are known to sound very very good. You have two very active members on here with lots of experience in audio that love these drivers (Xrk and Wesayso). Wesayso liked them so much he bought 50 of them. That's $550 in speaker drivers alone.. then you have to add on the cost and time of building his incredible enclosures.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...o-towers-25-driver-full-range-line-array.html

You also have the example of the Nola Brio Trio's which use two of the TC9FD's per speaker, and we have a forum member here who experienced them recently at a big audio convention. Here is his impressions. He states that this simple speaker using the TC9FD's sounded better than 90% of the $$$$$$$$ speakers at the convention! The speakers also have won awards.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...-baffle-bass-reflex-hybrid-5.html#post4895722

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjjb10xzu04

So for $44 in speaker drivers and a little work (and possibly a subwoofer later on) you can have a world class sounding system. If this was known/possible when I was a noob, there would be no question in me trying this out personally, lol. :eek:

I'll tell you the truth.. I have 4 of the TC9FD's on order to do this very same thing.

The SATORI MR16P-4 have just been released and are not readily available yet. I found them on one European website for 130 Euros each, which is about $137 US. Prices may go down when they are more readily available.

MR16P-4 'Satori' [MR16P-4] : AUDIO-HI.FI, Loudspeaker shop

So in summary, if you want cheap, easy, and guaranteed great sound, you can't go wrong with the TC9FD. Everything else is a bit of a gamble honestly.

Last edited:
The BMR's may be really really good. The problem is nobody has tried them, so you're going into uncharted territory. They definitely have a distinct advantage over normal cone drivers- they have extremely uniform polar response. They may sound great, they may sound terrible. You're really gambling your money. I'll never tell anybody to NOT do something, but I don't want to mislead you that this will sound good. Its unknown as of now.
Nobody has tried BMRs?
I think several persons here mentioned using them already..
Also some ready-made products exist with them, like the small portable speakers mentioned earlier, etc..

In any case for their price, I am willing to take the "risk"..
(in addition to buying the TC9FDs)

Wesayso liked them so much he bought 50 of them.
Wow..
Really liked them

So for $44 in speaker drivers and a little work (and possibly a subwoofer later on) you can have a world class sounding system.
Thank you for amazing tips..

I will do it then.

BTW when it comes to building speakers that have a built-in amplifier, like in the case of computer speakers,
do you have any preference towards some amplifier that is known to be good quality?

(I am not looking for high volume, I am looking for good, pleasant, warm sound quality)

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the BMR's!

As far as DIY amplifiers go, it's not my area of expertise & it also depends on how much you want to spend.

If I had to buy a DIY amplifier kit, i would go with the Modulus-86. I don't think you would want to put it inside the speakers though.

Modulus-86 Rev. 2.1: Composite amplifier achieving 0.000067 % THD.

I know many people were playing with the cheap Yuan-Jing TPA amps. You'd be able to get more help on the amplifier forums here.

Goodluck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.