Does the "NXT" / "New Transducers Limited" Company Still Exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, whether published or included with the drivers themselves, those measurements are generally from a random, or carefully culled sample from production - or even a hand tweaked pre-production prototype, with equipment and under conditions for which there is no industry standard.

It may come as a surprise, but the veracity, comparability and ultimate significance of "manufacturers' specifications" to each other, and to those by "advanced DIYers" is one of those areas heatedly debated, and over which consensus is rarely found.

Thank you all.

I am curious regarding a remark theaspin made earlier:
Tectonic Elements?

On one hand, NXT is now HiWave, and we can see the following speaker on Parts Express:
HiWave BMR12 Compact 2" Full-Range Square Speaker 12W 8 Ohm
https://www.parts-express.com/hiwave-bmr12-compact-2-full-range-square-speaker-12w-8-ohm--299-208

On the other hand, according to theaspin, when going to Tectonic Elements' website,
we can see these speakers, under the "BMR Speakers" category:
BMR Speakers | Tectonic Elements

I wonder:
Were all of these (the HiWave one from Parts Express, and the group from Tectonic Elements) manufactured in the same factory, and just got a different sticker on them?
Or, 2 factories made them, according to a license that they received?

that's the $64K question, isn't it?

a third option is items that borderline fail QC testing don't get scrapped, but redirected to factory over-run / buyout resellers?
So no-one knows? :)

Checking out this new BMR driver available at PE. https://www.parts-express.com/tectonic-elements-tebm35c10-4-bmr-2-full-range-speaker-4-ohm--297-216

It has very wide directivity.
Yesterday, after I wrote the previous post, I noticed that PE has Tectonic Elements too - 4 models:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am having a difficulty to choose between 2 of them..

The first is TEBM35C10-4 (that's the one panson_hk just refered to, it's 2"):
https://www.parts-express.com/tectonic-elements-tebm35c10-4-bmr-2-full-range-speaker-4-ohm--297-216

The second is TEBM46C20N-4B (3"):
https://www.parts-express.com/tecto...n-4b-bmr-3-full-range-speaker-4-ohm--297-2157

Do you maybe have any comments regarding them, so I can choose one?

They are both Full Range, and will be used for listening to music..
Which one is a better choice?

Well, I do not intend to have a subwoofer, since I don't like too much bass..

Regarding what kind of box I am going to put them into,
that is flexible - I can choose according to what is best for them.

So please assume that all other variables are free to play with,
and I need to choose either the TEBM35C10-4 (2") or the TEBM46C20N-4B (3")..

What would you choose If you were me?

I see.

Well, despite the fact that I intend to buy some regular FR speakers from PE,
I do want to experiment with BMRs too..
So it means I will buy a couple of BMRs too, in addition..
(they are not expensive, and I like to try new things)

So I will have to choose between the last 2 options

Last edited:
Spaceman, I would recommend the new TEBM35C10 over all the other BMR drivers available.

In a ported box, they have a much lower F3 than the TEBM46C20N-4.

The only problem with the TEBM35C10 is their sensitivity. I would recommend at least 16 of them total, 8 per speaker channel, for a useable speaker sensitivity.

Than you for the recommendation Xaborus.

The 2" one has a lower F3 than the 3" one?
I would've expected it to the the opposite

Believe me, I know it's weird.

To begin with, the HiBM65C20F and HiBM36S05 have much less flat FR, so we can rule those two out (I believe these were older designs- notice the Hi? It looks like Tectonic Elements absorbed HiWave). This leaves us with the TEBM35C10 and the TEBM46C20N as you requested.

If you look at the spec sheets, the TEBM46C20N starts rolling off sharply below 250hz, while the TEBM35C10 starts rolling off more slowly below 200hz.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/297-2157--temb46c20n-4b-2-spec-sheet.pdf

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/297-216--tectonic-elements-tebm35c10-4-spec-sheet.pdf

Now this isn't enough information alone, but if we look at Parts-express' recommended enclosures we can see:

TEBM35C10: Vented Volume 0.026 ft.³ & Vented F3 85 Hz
TEBM46C20: Vented Volume0.02 ft.³ & Vented F3 118 Hz

So yes, somehow it appears the little 2" goes lower.

I modeled the TEBM35C10 in WinISD for you and the best ported enclosures i get are:

1992cm^3 @ 67hz: F3 = 60hz
1097cm^3 @ 71hz: F3 = 62hz

Xmech is not exceeded even with Pe=10W. Although they don't list Xmax.

If you want, i can model the larger more sensitive TEBM46C20 for you.

Edit: The smaller 2" has a much higher Qts than the 3". I guess this can explain the lower f3, although I agree with the size difference it's odd.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all this.
Well, the 2" also has a much nicer price than the 3"..
So I will go with it.

BTW, regarding this:
The only problem with the TEBM35C10 is their sensitivity. I would recommend at least 16 of them total, 8 per speaker channel, for a usable speaker sensitivity.
When you put several drivers of the same kind in a speaker,
do you split the frequencies that each will play, so each will play a different frequency range,
or do you make all of them play all frequencies?

Thank you very much for all this.
Well, the 2" also has a much nicer price than the 3"..
So I will go with it.

BTW, regarding this:

When you put several drivers of the same kind in a speaker,
do you split the frequencies that each will play, so each will play a different frequency range,
or do you make all of them play all frequencies?

I'd definitely make them play all frequencies. If you didn't you wouldn't get an increase in efficiency. Not to mention that would be a hell of a crossover.

The problem is knowing how many you need and how to wire them for a 4ohm or 8ohm impedance to the amplifier... I need to look that up.

I went ahead and modeled the larger 3" for you. Yep, the smaller 2" goes a lot lower.

The problem is knowing how many you need
My first project with the BMRs is to create good quality Computer Speakers,
for listening to music, and watching movies.

So I don't need alot of volume,
but I do want good sound quality..

So I think 2 BMR drivers in each speaker should be enough..
(maybe even one?)

I went ahead and modeled the larger 3" for you. Yep, the smaller 2" goes a lot lower.

Thank you,
so the smaller (2") one will be purchased..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.