Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12pw or similar sealed
12pw or similar sealed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2016, 04:14 AM   #1
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

Default 12pw or similar sealed

Has anybody thought about using a Mark Audio 12pw in a sealed box with a bit of EQ? It has a rather large Xmax at 8.5mm and Qts ~ 0.39. I'm thinking about one or a pair of these per side in either a FAST setup with a low x-over (some
where between ~150 and 400 Hz to a 4" fullrange or a FAWGCDT with the 12pw from low to ~5kHz crossing to a waveguided compression driver. Actually, the 12pw appeals to me because it seems to be possible to cross both low and high -- good for tinkering.

I'm not wed to the 12pw idea. If there are any other thoughts about other drivers, I'm all ears. I don't really want a huge floor footprint, maybe no more than 25cm X 25 cm max with max volume around 50 or 60 litres. This limits woofers to no larger than 8". Perhaps an AudioNirvana..?? Budget is flexible within reason. I'm interested in getting the most mid-bass punch I can from such small drivers. Ideally, in-room (medium sized) bass would get down in the low 40s or better.

All XO with miniDSP, biamped with tubes up to 40 WPC.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 8th October 2016, 05:25 AM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

12pw or similar sealed
Sealed sims:

12pw or similar sealed-a122pw-sealed-gif

We have used A12pw & in a Woden specified ML-TL where they are tremendous.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif A122pw-sealed.gif (20.5 KB, 447 views)
Old 8th October 2016, 06:23 AM   #3
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

Thanks. To my novice eye, it looks like a 40l sealed box would have plenty of excursion left to EQ to mid-40s at my average pedestrian dB levels.

The Woden TL you are talking about... is that the wide mtm with the alpair 7.3 that you've posted elsewhere? If not, is it for 2 X 12pw or one? Can you tell me the lxwxh? I guess it comes with some of your paid plansets? Cheers.
Old 8th October 2016, 06:32 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

12pw or similar sealed
Yes, that is the one. Scott designed it for one driver, we doubled it. This MTM is a follow on from the success we had with the EL166+FF85 MTM of similar design.

~40x121x29 cm (wxhxd)

Email me about the plans.

dave
Old 28th December 2016, 12:31 PM   #5
digiOS is offline digiOS  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm also interested in the single design for the 12PW can you email me or provide guidance, thanks.
Old 28th December 2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately Dave has been in hospital since ~ early December and isn't likely to be on-line any time soon, although he is making progress thank goodness.
Old 4th January 2017, 02:52 AM   #7
digiOS is offline digiOS  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe someone can assist me I wanna try my first build it will be a tapered spiral enclosure. How do you calculate the size of chamber behind speaker and then the length of the tapering spiral after the chamber? Should the chamber and spiral equal VAS for optimal box?

example:
| \
| \
\___________________/ \ |
| |
| |
| |
|
\/
spiral upward
coiled towards driver
Old 21st April 2017, 11:45 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

12pw or similar sealed
Straight Woden ML-TL for A12pw: http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Wod...-MLTL-plan.pdf
Folded version: http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Wod...LTL-291015.pdf

The twin version we built does tremendous bass:
Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:35 AM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

The MTM system shown now resides as front mains in my 7.1 system, with the recent substitution of stock MAOP7 for the EnABLed 7.3s, and a custom outboard passive XO designed by Aaron Drabitt. This configuration frees up a pair of channels on the Onkyo for front height surrounds - which makes far more of an improvement in envelopement on well encoded film soundtracks - and believe it or not, some broadcast commercials - than I expected. I think the only time they'll be leaving the room is to go back to the spray booth for a touch up on scratches on one if the front panels.
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:58 PM   #10
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

12pw or similar sealed
Great for you to share those designs Dave and for you Scott for designing them. You guys continue to be most valued. So glad to have you back Dave.

12pw or similar sealedHide this!Advertise here!