12pw or similar sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody thought about using a Mark Audio 12pw in a sealed box with a bit of EQ? It has a rather large Xmax at 8.5mm and Qts ~ 0.39. I'm thinking about one or a pair of these per side in either a FAST setup with a low x-over (some
where between ~150 and 400 Hz to a 4" fullrange or a FAWGCDT with the 12pw from low to ~5kHz crossing to a waveguided compression driver. Actually, the 12pw appeals to me because it seems to be possible to cross both low and high -- good for tinkering.

I'm not wed to the 12pw idea. If there are any other thoughts about other drivers, I'm all ears. I don't really want a huge floor footprint, maybe no more than 25cm X 25 cm max with max volume around 50 or 60 litres. This limits woofers to no larger than 8". Perhaps an AudioNirvana..?? Budget is flexible within reason. I'm interested in getting the most mid-bass punch I can from such small drivers. Ideally, in-room (medium sized) bass would get down in the low 40s or better.

All XO with miniDSP, biamped with tubes up to 40 WPC.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sealed sims:

attachment.php

We have used A12pw & in a Woden specified ML-TL where they are tremendous.

dave

Attachments

• A122pw-sealed.gif
    A122pw-sealed.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 645
Thanks. To my novice eye, it looks like a 40l sealed box would have plenty of excursion left to EQ to mid-40s at my average pedestrian dB levels.

The Woden TL you are talking about... is that the wide mtm with the alpair 7.3 that you've posted elsewhere? If not, is it for 2 X 12pw or one? Can you tell me the lxwxh? I guess it comes with some of your paid plansets? Cheers.

Maybe someone can assist me I wanna try my first build it will be a tapered spiral enclosure. How do you calculate the size of chamber behind speaker and then the length of the tapering spiral after the chamber? Should the chamber and spiral equal VAS for optimal box?

example:
| \
| \
\___________________/ \ |
| |
| |
| |
|
\/
spiral upward
coiled towards driver

The MTM system shown now resides as front mains in my 7.1 system, with the recent substitution of stock MAOP7 for the EnABLed 7.3s, and a custom outboard passive XO designed by Aaron Drabitt. This configuration frees up a pair of channels on the Onkyo for front height surrounds - which makes far more of an improvement in envelopement on well encoded film soundtracks - and believe it or not, some broadcast commercials - than I expected. I think the only time they'll be leaving the room is to go back to the spray booth for a touch up on scratches on one if the front panels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.