suitable woofer specs for F.A.S.T with Jordan Eikona 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some time now, the idea of a F.A.S.T setup just seems right to me. After having considered a number of wideband drivers, I am currently very interested in the Jordan Eikona 2.

As far as I can see, the Eikona 2 has sensitivity of 85-86 and is a 6 ohm unit.

Given that, what parameter values should I be looking for when trying to find a suitable 10-12" woofer to pair with the Eikona 2 in a F.A.S.T setup? Anything else to consider when matching widebands with woofers in a F.A.S.T setup?

I plan to drive the speakers with a mono amp for each driver (ie 4 monoblocks) and a DSP in the mix. I have some AudioVector 4 cabinets that I plan to use. About 125 liter/4.5 cubic feet.

I appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

I am currently building a fast using the Alpair 7 in a sealed cabinet alongside vented SDX10s. The crossover will likely be second order at 200-225 Hz. The Eikonas look like they are capable of a deeper crossover.

The SDX12 is a very capable subwoofer and should sound nice at 125 to 150 Hz crossover. Since you are using DSP and separate amps, the difference in impedance and sensitivity is not an issue. You could also look at the Dayton Um12.

With 125liters you could get into dual SDX10 vented or dual SDX12 sealed. May get a bit pricey though and that is a ton of output that you likely won't need. I run two SDX12s in a home theater setup and they can be polite and balanced with music but downright violent when called upon.

With the DSP you will be able to quickly test different crossover frequencies and slopes as well.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Avoid big aluminum cone drivers to avoid breakup. Polycone drivers or paper are very good for this. To match sensitivity pick driver with 5dB more sensitivity than Eikona to account for baffle step loss of the bass. So you need a circa 90 to 91dB woofer. Those are hard to find with deep bass extension (pro drivers tend to have higher fs and sometimes have breakup) so you may need to use two non pro audio 85dB woofers in parallel to get 91dB. Look for high excursion motors with shorting rings for low distortion. Although there is the Aurum Cantus AC300 that has 91dB and 8.5mm Xmax in a 12in format with 22Hz fs. It might just be the ticket. It has one peak near 2k but if crossing at 400Hz should be far away enough if using 2nd order filter or a small notch in miniDSP will take care of that as well.

Aurum Cantus AC300/75C2C 12" Woofer

Maybe I am missing a point here, but I thought that differences in sensitivity mattered. Maybe I should have stated that the "4 amps" are in fact power amps with a shared volume control. That is the plan....

The DSP would still allow me to balance drivers, though - I see that now.

Thanks XRK917 for mentioning the Aurum Cantus - I am in Europe, so I'll see if I can source it here somewhere - or find something similar.

The Scanspeak is a good bet. Don't worry about the cone being aluminium as you should be able to cross quite low with the Eikona which should cut out any problems.

Also have a look at the Beyma range - there are a few good candidates there that have been recommended here before.

What alignment are you planning for the cabinet?

Last edited:
The Scanspeak is a good bet. Don't worry about the cone being aluminium as you should be able to cross quite low with the Eikona which should cut out any problems.

Also have a look at the Beyma range - there are a few good candidates there that have been recommended here before.

What alignment are you planning for the cabinet?

Thanks Colin - I'll look at the Beymas for sure.

Just to be sure, when you say "alignment", do you mean the position of the drivers on the baffle? If so - I am kind of lost as to what guiding principles there are. The cabinets are Audiovector 4's - (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j3-HiwV1jBw/Vje7xK4JF0I/AAAAAAAAAaA/v4F6ojRLn-w/s1600/image1.JPG) (not my photo) - and I plan to mount a new front baffle to cover the old holes.

I actually thought of using the cabinets for woofers only. And crafting separate enclosures for the Eikonas. And put them on top of the other cabinets, sligthly pointing downwards towars listeting position, and just having rubber mats between the bottom and top cabinets to able to toe in/out the top (Eikona) cabinets. May be overkill, if so, I'll put the Eikonas in the same cabinet as the woofers. Choices, choices....

One more tip. Try to implement the Harsch XO for the woofer to full range. Transients are wonderful sounding with Harsch.

4th order low pass on woofer and 2nd order high pass on full range with time delay. Both positive absolute phase.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/277691-s-harsch-xo.html

Many thanks - I'll study that thread in detail. Appears to be a lot of work and knowledge in there.

I actually use a PC with JRIVER as my source - so I might be able to do the DSP duties in JRIVER entirely.

Hello Elway. There's quite a few suitable woofers for your design 2nd order, but far less that can do 1st order which is the real advantage of working with wide and drivers....otherwise, you'd be far better suited to a conventional 2way with a tweeter.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-12-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb34nrx75-6-12-woofer/

This SB woofer will allow for a nice 6db transition to your Jordan. 1st order if choosing the right center freq, baffle step compensation won't be neccessary as the Jordan has a helpful bump centered at 500hz. You will wind up with three very closely placed impedance spikes at the resonance of each driver and the port resonance. I'd look to reduce one by loading the Jordan in a resistive or aperoidic enclosure instead of sealed. Make sure to simulate your baffle with the EDGE to find the proper offset on the baffle for the Jordan. Also since the XO point is low, consider the woofer as low in the baffle as possible to avoid floor bounce and add boundary gains.

Good luck with your project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.