Best damping stuff for fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh well. Se la vie. Worked for me very well with a Philips AD W12100 full range in a 120 litre double bass reflex w Fostex bullet tweeters & Silver Fute 5 1/4inch tl hybrid 14 litre w XT25 tweeters. But your negative experience with it is noted for future reference.

Well, c'est la vie ;-)
I made some further experiment today, removing the wool from behind the driver and put a mix of wool/dacron between driver and slot....what an improvement over dacron.
Bass are now powerful...only downside the music seems to flow slower.

Mmm interesting. The stuff Ive always used was the 50/50. I made the assumtion (my bad & always dangerous) that pure wool would be better. Perhaps it is pound for pound more effective and damps higher frequency better than the others therefore less is more effective. That makes sense. The Philips 12 in FR I used it in reqired a notch filter that was reduced in value after adding damping. The XO for the TL was just north of 2.5K very nice life like tone from that one that also features a wool damped cone material (Silver flute 5.25 in) a surprisingly good driver for very little money.
I gots to know why is it so? Works fantastic just behind the drivers in my Peerless 12 in 125 litre bass bins the rest of the fill is polyester & acoustic insulation batts.

TWARON Angel Hair

A by-product from Twaron which works excellent at damping midrange frequencies. For broader frequency damping (sealed) not much beats fiberglass insulation, though combinations of different materials can get excellent results as well. For instance real wool felt on enclosure walls with fiberglass or Twaron Angel hair loosely in the middle of the enclosure behind the driver. (leave some air behind that driver)
Easy to "read" in an impedance test from the driver in enclosure.

Last edited:
Since X has been recommending the reticulated melamine foam (Magic Clean Eraser) as damping material for a few years now, it got me wondering, how well would it work for an aperiodic design? I’ve only ever used fiberglass (à la the Dynaudio Variovent) for the vent.

For my Pensil 10p's, I bought a 50 oz. bag of polyfiber fill from Walmart, about $8, fluffs up right out of the bag, half in each speaker, fills them up nicely, button them up and crank them up...:)

For my Pensil N70's I used fiberglass that I buy from Lowes, it comes in small bags, like 2x4 rolls, no backing, just unroll and loosely fill the box as Scottmoose recommends, both seem to work great...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.