Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fostex fe 206en speaker box build all options? Building for a friend.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Jeffrey 01 is offline Jeffrey 01  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex fe 206en speaker box build all options? Building for a friend.

Hello everyone. I didn't want to back trace my other post. So I hope everyone can chime in and help me. I will list what my friend bought for his project and go from there.

1. Drivers. Fe206an drivers ( has ).

2. Vifa ring tweeters ( peerless ) XT25BG-60-04 1" inch tweeters.
( has ).

3. I am buying the wood. So that's takin care of. ( ( getting ).

4. The amp and pre amp I can get a model number if it would help if needed? ( has ).

5. Subwoofer will be add later this year's or the beganing of next year.

So the speaker wire and binding post are easy to get. The stuffing He needs to get as well. I have all the tools but, I am limited in time and design. So that's where I need help. I did research and there is a ton of designs for this drivers. I am a one man show and I would like to do a simple ported box of possible? A subwoofer is in the future plans for sure. So If the ported box doesn't work out I wonder if the mark audios pencils could be modified to work with the fostex fe206an drivers? Just throwing things out there? So that's all the info I have for now. If anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks Jeff

Last edited by Jeffrey 01; 14th August 2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 14th August 2016, 12:45 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

All versions of FE206 of which I'm aware require capable of more visceral LF gain than I think the Pensils could provide. The simplest - but not smallest- that could give any decent amount of bass extension for these would likely be a BIB, for which I'm sure someone has long since done the math.

I wouldn't add the tweeter just yet; if found to be needing at the top octave & a bit, a more sensitive model might be required - at the budget end, the FT17H is literally designed to work with the larger FE models.
Old 14th August 2016, 12:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Okay we will not add a tweeter just yet. I don't think he will fetch for another pair of tweeters but that's okay no problem. As for the ( BIB ) bigger is better box will be way to large for his room and to much for me to to spend in wood. As for the pencils not working thats okay I just had a idea I wanted to throw out there.So I will keep looking at box design's. Thanks chrisb. Jeff
Old 14th August 2016, 01:23 AM   #4
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

its friendly to a Karlson K12 size - perhaps xrk971 could offer something - I have 206 in a 0.62 scale "K15" that is smaller than a K12
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 14th August 2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 14th August 2016, 01:49 AM   #5
e_fortier is offline e_fortier  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey 01 View Post
Hello everyone. I didn't want to back trace my other post. So I hope everyone can chime in and help me. I will list what my friend bought for his project and go from there.

1. Drivers. Fe206an drivers ( has ).

2. Vifa ring tweeters ( peerless ) XT25BG-60-04 1" inch tweeters.
( has ).

3. I am buying the wood. So that's takin care of. ( ( getting ).

4. The amp and pre amp I can get a model number if it would help if needed? ( has ).

5. Subwoofer will be add later this year's or the beganing of next year.

So the speaker wire and binding post are easy to get. The stuffing He needs to get as well. I have all the tools but, I am limited in time and design. So that's where I need help. I did research and there is a ton of designs for this drivers. I am a one man show and I would like to do a simple ported box of possible? A subwoofer is in the future plans for sure. So If the ported box doesn't work out I wonder if the mark audios pencils could be modified to work with the fostex fe206an drivers? Just throwing things out there? So that's all the info I have for now. If anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks Jeff
Hi,

Many very respected people on this site have reported great results with the Half Chang while using the FE206e, since you'll be adding a subwoofer later this years that would be my choice. See plans below which was found on this site.

BR,
Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Half-Chang-(2008) map-170608.pdf (155.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 14th August 2016, 11:26 AM   #6
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Though I'm not one of the "very respected people on this site" I can vouch for the half changs with Jim Shearer's BSC of 1 mH air core inductor and 5.5 ohm Mills resistor (IIRC). The drivers need a lot of break-in (like 200 hrs or so) to start sounding their best and there are some shout issues I still need to address but the bass is impressive and I have no need for a tweeter. The build is not difficult.
Old 14th August 2016, 12:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Many thanks to everyone here for all the great advise. I will pass the Half chang and karlson k12 speaker plans to my friend if it's a go then I will build them. They both seem simple enough to build. Thanks Jeff
Old 14th August 2016, 05:37 PM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The BVRs (like the Half-Changs) with BSC really stretch the FE206En excursion capability.

I adivise that it you want to use it solo then the FE206 want a horn. AFAIC the best of those are Dallas II, Kirishima or Vulcan.

If you are willing to add woofers then put the FE206En in a sealed box (midTL or OB trickier) and add a woofer on each side. Bi-amping gives way more choice. The FE206En goes low enuff (167 Hz XO in a damped 5 litre with a butterworth roll-off) that some plate amps can work.

S.E.Xy Speakers | Bottlehead
Black Dahlia Acoustics - Loudspeaker Kit Plans

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FE206En-sealed.gif (25.4 KB, 377 views)
Old 14th August 2016, 06:16 PM   #9
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Karlsons are tuned high, have some bandpass action, play good bass within their bandwidth with little excursion. A "taiko" drum sounds decent for an 8" driver. fe206EN is a good K-driver imo.
Old 14th August 2016, 07:10 PM   #10
p_ete2003 is offline p_ete2003  Finland
diyAudio Member

I use mine (with phase plugs) in OBs with one 15" Eminence bass driver in H frame per channel. Active tube high pass & opamp low pass XOs at 250Hz. Before I had them in the factory plan's BLHs. Very easy to build but your friend needs more amps&XOs

Fostex fe 206en speaker box build all options? Building for a friend.Hide this!Advertise here!