Fostex FE206En speaker box build all options? Building for a friend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I didn't want to back trace my other post. So I hope everyone can chime in and help me. I will list what my friend bought for his project and go from there.

1. Drivers. Fe206an drivers ( has ).

2. Vifa ring tweeters ( peerless ) XT25BG-60-04 1" inch tweeters.
( has ).

3. I am buying the wood. So that's takin care of. ( ( getting ).

4. The amp and pre amp I can get a model number if it would help if needed? ( has ).

5. Subwoofer will be add later this year's or the beganing of next year.

So the speaker wire and binding post are easy to get. The stuffing He needs to get as well. I have all the tools but, I am limited in time and design. So that's where I need help. I did research and there is a ton of designs for this drivers. I am a one man show and I would like to do a simple ported box of possible? A subwoofer is in the future plans for sure. So If the ported box doesn't work out I wonder if the mark audios pencils could be modified to work with the fostex fe206an drivers? Just throwing things out there? So that's all the info I have for now. If anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
All versions of FE206 of which I'm aware require capable of more visceral LF gain than I think the Pensils could provide. The simplest - but not smallest- that could give any decent amount of bass extension for these would likely be a BIB, for which I'm sure someone has long since done the math.

I wouldn't add the tweeter just yet; if found to be needing at the top octave & a bit, a more sensitive model might be required - at the budget end, the FT17H is literally designed to work with the larger FE models.

Okay we will not add a tweeter just yet. I don't think he will fetch for another pair of tweeters but that's okay no problem. As for the ( BIB ) bigger is better box will be way to large for his room and to much for me to to spend in wood. As for the pencils not working thats okay I just had a idea I wanted to throw out there.So I will keep looking at box design's. Thanks chrisb. Jeff

its friendly to a Karlson K12 size - perhaps xrk971 could offer something - I have 206 in a 0.62 scale "K15" that is smaller than a K12
MaBOcIz.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I didn't want to back trace my other post. So I hope everyone can chime in and help me. I will list what my friend bought for his project and go from there.

1. Drivers. Fe206an drivers ( has ).

2. Vifa ring tweeters ( peerless ) XT25BG-60-04 1" inch tweeters.
( has ).

3. I am buying the wood. So that's takin care of. ( ( getting ).

4. The amp and pre amp I can get a model number if it would help if needed? ( has ).

5. Subwoofer will be add later this year's or the beganing of next year.

So the speaker wire and binding post are easy to get. The stuffing He needs to get as well. I have all the tools but, I am limited in time and design. So that's where I need help. I did research and there is a ton of designs for this drivers. I am a one man show and I would like to do a simple ported box of possible? A subwoofer is in the future plans for sure. So If the ported box doesn't work out I wonder if the mark audios pencils could be modified to work with the fostex fe206an drivers? Just throwing things out there? So that's all the info I have for now. If anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks Jeff

Hi,

Many very respected people on this site have reported great results with the Half Chang while using the FE206e, since you'll be adding a subwoofer later this years that would be my choice. See plans below which was found on this site.

BR,
Eric

Attachments

• Half-Chang-(2008) map-170608.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 277
Though I'm not one of the "very respected people on this site" I can vouch for the half changs with Jim Shearer's BSC of 1 mH air core inductor and 5.5 ohm Mills resistor (IIRC). The drivers need a lot of break-in (like 200 hrs or so) to start sounding their best and there are some shout issues I still need to address but the bass is impressive and I have no need for a tweeter. The build is not difficult.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The BVRs (like the Half-Changs) with BSC really stretch the FE206En excursion capability.

I adivise that it you want to use it solo then the FE206 want a horn. AFAIC the best of those are Dallas II, Kirishima or Vulcan.

If you are willing to add woofers then put the FE206En in a sealed box (midTL or OB trickier) and add a woofer on each side. Bi-amping gives way more choice. The FE206En goes low enuff (167 Hz XO in a damped 5 litre with a butterworth roll-off) that some plate amps can work.

S.E.Xy Speakers | Bottlehead
Black Dahlia Acoustics - Loudspeaker Kit Plans

dave

Attachments

• FE206En-sealed.gif
    FE206En-sealed.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 586
The BVRs (like the Half-Changs) with BSC really stretch the FE206En excursion capability.

I adivise that it you want to use it solo then the FE206 want a horn. AFAIC the best of those are Dallas II, Kirishima or Vulcan.

If you are willing to add woofers then put the FE206En in a sealed box (midTL or OB trickier) and add a woofer on each side. Bi-amping gives way more choice. The FE206En goes low enuff (167 Hz XO in a damped 5 litre with a butterworth roll-off) that some plate amps can work.

S.E.Xy Speakers | Bottlehead
Black Dahlia Acoustics - Loudspeaker Kit Plans

dave

Thanks Dave for your helpful in sights about this driver and what kind of box it needs. Jeff

I used the 1954 Karlson 12 with single horizontal vent above the woofer cutout. The user in this link below had the multiple slit vent K12 and was impressed. The slit vent will distort on sine wave whereas a single vent won't. Music is generally transient in nature so such ports can sound good in practice. Distributed slit and hole vents were popular in the mid 1950's where many drivers had relatively high qts. Under hard drive, they create drag and act more like a sealed box input impedance-wise

FE206EN is a good choice for K12 - one of the best for an 8 inch fullrange.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...arlson-road-some-questions-2.html#post4072753

Last edited:
Yes, while the dimensions and location of rear port are not given, the shape and driver location would very likely initiate some quarter-wave action. Still not likely to deliver as deeply extended or solid bass as if in a well designed BLH / Olson - Nagaoka labyrinth - none of which will be compact.

as mentioned before, it works well in Karlson coupler and loaded in K8/SK8/ 0.62 scale K15, and K12. in the scaled K15 I have 1/8" peak to peak cone travel at pretty loud playback of John French's solo drum CD track 3- cymbals are very nice - final tuning of the vent and/or rear lowpass would be done "by ear"

this 0.62 scale cabinet is about 20" tall, 14.5 wide and 12 deep - it might be made smaller with less baffle tilt and somewhat smaller front chamber

a cheap powered sub could be added - direct radiators are good for some things, Karlson for others - - open baffle +15 or a muddy but low mass GW1858 would be nice. My next speakers will be either K or front loaded horn.

at any rate, I like FE206EN more than things such as the old stamped frame Nirvana ("too dark")

http://i.imgur.com/MaBOcIz.jpg

does the bright/sunny character of FE206EN partly come from its 2K6 peak ?

A38JVbE.gif

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.