slim fullrange speaker suggestion for newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm totally new to speaker building. I started reading books and article about speaker building. It's like a rabbit hole. The amount of information is endless. I don't even have all the basic cover to design my own.

So, I've decided it's best to build from an existing design that fits my need. This time, I'll only concentrate on the building technique.

My goal is a pair of slim speaker for a small office.
It'll be placed between monitors. That's why I want them to be as slim as possible. The listening volume will be around 65-70dB at about 70cm (~28") from speakers. It may peak above that but shouldn't be over 80dB often.
Music types are classical, movie/tv scores, classic rock like Pink Floyd.
I'm hoping to keep the overall cost under $200.

Please let me know any good suggestion.

First few that come to mind are

Fostex FF85WK
Alpair A6 (paper or metal)
Dayton RS75 or PS95
Vifa / Peerless TG9 or TC9
Fountek FR88
no doubt others will be suggested

I've done quite a few small enclosures with the first 2, haven't heard the Daytons, and am frankly not a big fan of the Vifa/Peereless or Founteks - but that's what makes this a horse race.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
floor stander is out

Lots of small "stand mounts" in my design library, micro & millSize. Very often used for multi-media speakers, we bill the microSize as "computer" speakers. Build-ease from simple (uFonken) to tricky (uFonkenSET).

Here a set of uMar-Ken6: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...nken-gallery-pictures-only-3.html#post3067781

DSC_0847.JPG

uFonkenSET in solid walnut: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...nken-gallery-pictures-only-4.html#post3209413

blackWalnut-uFonkenSET-comp.jpg

And a set of the original uFonken (uFonkenWK for the current driver differs only in small detail):

239019d1315420505-minionken-fonken-picture-gallery-ufonken-macassarebony.jpg

dave

FF85WK in a Woden Lance cabinet. 5" wide, 8"deep, 10" tall. Actually big compared to computer satellite speakers, but narrow and sound great, much better than they have a right to. Easy build too.

I'm at my desk listening to them right now. No monitors though, just a laptop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.