Gradient Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whoa, hold your horses...

This is not the same company as the finnish one, making dipoles.

The finns are called "Gradient Labs."

This one (the drivers) has a domain registered to Intertechnik Gmbh. I have a strong suspicion, the drivers are made in Asia.

Johan-Kr

Last edited:
I figure it will be something like BG20 in parameters (so would drop into a Karlson K12 for quick evaluation) and built like a Gui-Sound for cone profile-- low inductance (0.18mH) reasonably low K2 and K3 - sturdy looking frame

since a Karlson typically tilts a driver 20 to 30 degrees back, and the varying aperture spreads relevant wavelengths,
I don't think the correction network for direct radiator purposes will be needed.

dimensions including cutout
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2nd vs 3rd harmonic distortion
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FR on-axis & acoustic phase

WoW ! - this AX08 is certainly an impressive, beautiful looking and solid feeling driver - quite compliant - pretty aluminum phase plug, thick U beam frame spokes, large spider. It should have to sound at least as good as my AN8 (?) The curvilinear cone is light with no rear treatment so could respond to diy treatments. In contrast, W8-1772 has a lot of extra pulp on the rear of its cone for damping. Tang's 2145 looks even more damped with its fancy surround.

no break-in whatsoever - a couple of impedance plots in a Druid style pipe (originally for my old-spec Eminence B102)

AX08 impedance, no filter, in the pipe - fs without break-in must
be around 60Hz
lvyfDjR.gif

Frequency centers of 1uF and 3.3uF in parallel with 0.8mH and in series with AX08 - no "R" - just looking for something laying around to contour the mids
4WMzGEM.gif

with ~1/2 ohm series resistance of long wire and ~0.4ohm dcr coil, a crude BSC filter of 0.8mH/8R is too much. It sounds pretty good with no filter and better imo with a rough cardboard BBC slot filter - the recording I'm using is an obscure but good recording of a young lady singing old Christmas carols and simultaneously playing harp. A bare 8" driver doesn't sound right to me and some truncation of its horizontal width seems to help with reducing subjective localization of the speaker. This is a nice little fullrange.

I've had the CD for some years and use it to evaluate - its listed at CD Baby
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/madisonsings

Last edited:
Here's a quick In-room plot with no electrical filter, and driven by my Crown amp - imo its quite extended on the top and
better than level out to 18KHz on-axis.

perhaps some of the readers can suggest a mild contour network to slightly curb the rising response - the cabinet's maybe not optimum but usable and I like the driver height for standing/listening - a bit more damping material and it should be ok.

Imo, this is pretty good for 1/24 octave resolution

Z9z7gRh.gif

here's the same pipe, different room - maybe a bit more mic distance with FE206EN and
the old rotting surround BOFU - that would have been a great speaker with a longer lasting surround

1/12 octave smoothed
A38JVbE.gif

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.