Philips AD 8080/m4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, guys. I saw that you have some experience , with Philips speakers . I have their : AD70800/M4 and is like one you are talking for .

07dfa025d9b9ffa9906478ffd615c34b.gif

I`m also interested in OB project with them . Do you have any calculator or plans you would like to suggest ?I`m going to modify this speaker also , i will start with its magnet - i will add additional one . Also it chassis is not so solid ...

Greetings everyone. First of all, I am sorry for waking up this old thread. I heard it is something frowned upon.

I have been looking for a pair of full-range speakers to use at my home because my friend lends me a pair of Philips AD1255/M7. I had a hard time getting a good sound out of them and finally started working great with my little Pioneer SA-500A. It has a wonderful sound to the kind of music I often listen to. This is the whole reason why I was looking for a pair of full-range speakers.

Then I found these which are on these photos for 40$. I snatched them instantly because they are Philips and they were in great shape with original boxes. When I bought them home it was a total disappointment when it comes to sound. It sounds like an AM Radio, the Same issue was there with AD1255 but it went away when I hooked them up to SA-500A. But so far I couldn't get at least 60% good sound compared to 1255A.

I just wanted to ask if you know these speakers, I can't find any information because boxes are sealed and I can't figure out an easy way to look at the magnets of the speakers.

If you can identify the model of these speakers please let me know. They are around 8 inches and definitely Philips because there is a badge at the back of the box.

I know I can't expect AD1255/M7 sound from this because they are much higher quality drivers and they are large too but this has to sound at least a little closer to them. Not 100% but at least 40%. Am I right or wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20201127_103929.jpg
    IMG_20201127_103929.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20201127_103943.jpg
    IMG_20201127_103943.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20201127_104001.jpg
    IMG_20201127_104001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 289
They are probably AD 7063/m8 or some variation of those.
They are in fact very good drivers. Certainly different sounding than the more well known Phillips FR. But their equal, I'd say.

The cabinet has a tremendous influence on the sound. The deeply recessed drivers is not good for the highs for starters.

The issue might be anything though. From bad cables or mismatched amp, to internal mods by nincompoops.

Break in from the back, it should be possible.
If it's glued or nailed shut, use a hammer and an in-between rod that you use as anvil for the hammer, and slowly search for weaknesses and joins in around the edge of the backplate.
Otherwise if you are ready to sacrifice the cabinet, step slowly and carefully onto the corner of the speaker, while resting it on the other corner on the ground.
Gradually apply more weight until you can feel it crack, then stop and see of it's enough to get in.

Philips AD 7063 ideas

Edit: A quick google let me to believe that it's actually the AD 80800/M8.
Also super drivers.
Philips AD 80800/M4S
Широкополосные динамики Philips 8" (AD 80800-M8) – купить в Ялте, цена 4 500 руб., продано 24 октября 2018 – Акустика, колонки, сабвуферы

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I found the model. I don't know how correct this information is but I did a google search and there was some German information on a website. I think what he means here was that he removed them from the same speaker box as mine "LFD 8022" and the speakers are

"Philips AD80800/M8"

I don't know if it's supposed to be Philips AD8080/M8

information that was written in German language. Maybe someone who knows german can help me to understand what it says there.

" Verkaufe zwei Philips Tieftöner Typ AD 80800/M8

wurden aus Philips LFD 8022 Lautsprechern ausgebaut

Außen-Durchmesser ca 20,5 cm. ( Tieftöner )

Durchmesser innen ca.18,5 cm

Ausführung 8 Ohm

Magnet ca 5,2 cm

Bei einen Tieftöner ist der Hochtonkegel etwas Beschädigt ( Siehe Bild 4)

Membranfläche ist Sauber .

Technische Daten
Nennleistung 15 Watt
Musikleistung 27 Watt
Impedance 8 Ohm

2 Stück

Die Tieftöner funktionieren einwandfrei,und sind im guten Zustand."

Also sir, are these good sounding drivers...? I saw you were saying they are super drivers.

I just can't understand why I can't get them to sound good. I tried them on the below-mentioned amplifiers.

Victor JA-S31 ( kind of okay but not acceptable )
Sansui AU-217 ( A Disaster )
Sansui 310 ( doesn't sound powerful at all, very weak )
Technics SU-Z15 (Too much muffled bass, highs are not good at all, mids have gone missing)
Technics SU-7700II (Kind of acceptable but then can't call it really good but so far alright sounding Muddy sound is still there and sounds like a AM radioish)
Pioneer SA-500A (So far the only listenable one but also not great, this currently drives my AD1255/M7 and it is very good with them)

I feel like the clarity is obscured kind of, like in AM Radio, doesn't feel like you're listening to CD Audio. Both speakers seemed pretty good cosmetic condition regarding their age. Sometimes I feel like I am trying to listen to music from a HORN.

I tried it with my little single-ended 5 watts per channel tube amplifier. Absolute disaster. not powerful enough as well.

Could this be the cables I am using?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Yes, they are good drivers. I have one set of it’s very close cousins, and have only read good things about this exact model.

It could be any reason until you have them out of the cabinet and have new cables on them.

One thing: Are you listening straight on? These are really best (as opposed to the other well known Phillips 8 driver, just about 10 degrees off axis.
You might also find that they need to be played in a bit.

They might have been a long time in storage, or they could be from a certain type of previous owner, who like very soft music?

There is of course also the possibility that you have a pair of damaged drivers, though I find that pretty rare with vintage Phillips, for some reason.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.