using Dayton PS95-8 - enclosure design for 5.1 Center and Rear channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am designing center and rear channel speakers using 6 of the Dayton PS95-8 3.5" full range drivers to compliment my PS220-8 for the main L-R channel (building cabinets based on the "Singularities" MLTL design).

Four PS95-8's in series-parallel for the center channel, vented tuned to ~78hz

Single PS95-8 in each rear channel, vented to ~67hz

Should I locate the ports on backside for the center channel or front side?

How should I space the four drivers, evenly across the front baffle or together closer?

Should I angle the fronts of the cabinets so they direct more to the listening position?

I will probably place the vents on the front of the rear channel so they can be wall mounted.

PE has some suggestions on their QA section on this driver, and I did use WinISD to model some enclosures, just looking for some input on the design.

Regards,
Nate

I like the Dayton PS95-8 and use it on an open baffle.

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/dayton-ps95-8-on-open-baffle/

I find them bright and feel they need to be angled away from the listening position. Having said that, they sound great. They are lively with a beautifully expressive midrange. I'll be watching your progress.

But I am curious how the PS95 sounds compared its bigger brother PS220-8. Does it have a family resemblance or do they sound totally different?

Thanks and good luck on your project!

PS220-8 impressions

I like the Dayton PS95-8 and use it on an open baffle.

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/dayton-ps95-8-on-open-baffle/

I find them bright and feel they need to be angled away from the listening position. Having said that, they sound great. They are lively with a beautifully expressive midrange. I'll be watching your progress.

But I am curious how the PS95 sounds compared its bigger brother PS220-8. Does it have a family resemblance or do they sound totally different?

Thanks and good luck on your project!

I don't know how they compare yet, they are in transit. I am currently using the PS220-8's open baffle and do like the very transparent sound however they do need some bass reinforcement. I am hoping the end result of the new enclosures will produce a nice surround system.

I have been using a dual 10" horn sub on this system for some years now based on the Decware "WO32" which has some coloration in the upper bass regions but does have impressive output from 35-70hz in my smallish sized living room. I currently have some cheap buyout bazooka sub drivers in them previously tried using the Dayton Pro 10" drivers for a bit and they really rock in the WO32 however they are going into my Synergy horn project.

-Nate

Arraying drivers horizontally is a no-no… better to just use one than any horizontally.

The sideways MTM popular for centres is a marketing thing and really bad in terms of performance.

dave

Hah! I always suspected that was true and questioned the reasoning behind putting them horizontally in a center channel. Thanks for the advice, this may alter my plans and might have something to do with why we have trouble hearing dialog clearly with our current center channel speaker.

-Nate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.