Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best enclosure for 15" audio nirvana?
Best enclosure for 15" audio nirvana?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2016, 10:04 PM   #21
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the shepherd View Post
I have just read a lot of favorable reviews on here and other forums by folks that were favorably impressed by the AN 15.
The folks that are MOST impressed by the AN15 are the 'Common Sense Audio' people themselves: "our Audio Nirvana speakers are also better than the world's best multi-driver speakers"
Old 24th May 2016, 10:10 PM   #22
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

When will the penny drop ? The AN15 might be fine as
stereo speakers but is utterly useless as organ speakers.
Horses for courses, and your banking on the wrong horse.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 24th May 2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 24th May 2016, 10:43 PM   #23
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

is there an echo in here?
Old 25th May 2016, 02:33 PM   #24
Scott the shepherd is offline Scott the shepherd  United States
diyAudio Member

sreten, the penny may not drop! I am seeking advice only. As I depend on my crops for discretionary spending, I may not start anything until February or March. Evan that depends on what I eventually decide will work best!

Since the majority here don't seem to like the ANs, I'm still looking for something to work. My colleagues on the virtual organ forum seem to be sold (by majority) on powered, near field monitors, primarily Behringer 2031s and 3031s. They like to use them in mostly in banks of 6 or 8 pairs with subwoofer(s). I don't care for them, nor can I afford this arrangement.

Oh, and by the way, the forums where I found favorable opinions on the AN15s were this one and one other audio forum which I won't name (because I don't know if it's allowed). Not the Common Sense/Audio Nirvana website! I can't tell if the other forum posts are "sock puppets" from AN, but I know better than to believe reviews posted on the sellers website, thank you!

~Scott
Old 25th May 2016, 02:55 PM   #25
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe an array of Vifa PC9s will work for organ music? Just kidding.

Reading thru this thread I feel the AN 15" is too expensive an avenue to take. I think that driver is best suited in a dedicated listening room with a dedicated listening spot. Larger rooms with lots of people might be better served by more typical pro sound options with horn tweeters spraying treble, high output mid-woofers creating enough volume for everyone and large thumping woofers in big boxes to reach the depths you desire.

The AN 15 is probably more an audiophiles aquired taste than a utilitarian driver for large venues.
Old 25th May 2016, 03:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Sorry if you were mislead Godzilla, but it's just me and my wife out here in the sticks! No "lots of people" anywhere. And the area is just 3 adjoining rooms, 12 feet wide and about 27 feet long, total. Huge fan of your movies, by the way!

My 'playing desk' is set at the far end, with the speakers, which are pointed to the sides now. It somewhat softens the effect on my ears when I play.

~Scott
Old 25th May 2016, 04:16 PM   #27
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

I have another movie coming out soon! Fans are always appreciated!

My room is about the same size. My couch is approximately in the middle of the room facing the speakers on the short wall.

In your room, I think the AN15s will work well.

I'd put them on OB on top of H-frames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (261.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 25th May 2016, 04:23 PM   #28
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

understanding all aspects of the application are critical to making efficacious suggestions:
- venue (room / auditorium / audience size/acoustic properties)
- program material / playing levels
- enclosure size constraints
- available power / speaker required sensitivity

Even in a more modest domestic venue than might have been in some of our flights of fancy, I still think a single full-range driver of any capability might still be over-taxed attempting to regularly dig into the bottom ranks, and that pro PA gear is probably your best bet for durability.
Old 25th May 2016, 05:21 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I am still looking at everything. My primary goal is to avoid crossovers between, say, m/l 150Hz to 6 or 7 kHz. I was wondering about something like a mid-woofer, like Silver Flute or something, that can cover to that upper limit, and then something like a dipole AMT to cap off the top end, and of course, the sub down below.

Does that sound any better to anyone?
(Bracing for impact!)

~Scott
Old 25th May 2016, 05:36 PM   #30
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

Going for a supposed goal (a high x/o point) that no commercial
manufacturer embraces tells you its a pretty pointless goal.
It will have more drawbacks than any supposed advantage.

TBH I'm not interested in debating this for 8 or 9 months.

You have loads of time to do your own research.

rgds, sreten.

Best enclosure for 15" audio nirvana?Hide this!Advertise here!