Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2016, 07:51 PM   #101
oneplustwo is offline oneplustwo  United States
diyAudio Member

Lots of updates to share!

The house is coming along. Still a long way to go (~Jan completion), but it's coming along.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a simpler version of the line arrays built into the walls:

Also, signal chain wise, I decided to go simple for now and then consider other options after evaluating the simple. So I got a factory renewed XMC-1 for processing duties. The turntable will feed into this through a PS audio phono preamp/ADC along with all the other various digital sources. This way, I'll be able to evaluate manual PEQ, Dirac, and also play with convolution through "pre-convolved" files to see what I might be missing.
Old 22nd August 2016, 06:37 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Another shift in plan... The studs that I was hoping could move to accommodate my volume requirements actually can't move. Also, this is going to be a shear wall with plywood under the drywall. However, I still plan on putting the drivers as close to the corner as possible and building in the required volume IN the ceiling joists by having an opening at the top of the tower and sealing off the requisite space with an additional 2x10 plus some caulking. Still need to think through some of the details but I think the concept is sound at least. Probably won't get to actually building until the end of the year, but the house is on track.
Old 22nd August 2016, 12:29 PM   #103
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

There's a need for some space behind the drivers, a little breathing room, and also a great place to add stuffing and reduce the back wave.

Adding volume on top does not replace the volume needed behind the drivers.

Does it have to be 45 degrees corners? Couldn't you do 20 degrees and add a straight board to extend the volume?
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:37 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

It doesn't need to be 45 degrees. And actually, the original Murphy corner loaded array that originally inspired this is more like what you're suggesting. That's the fall back option, but I would like to keep the drivers as close to the corner as practical to maximize the corner loading effect, taking into account your comments around stuffing and breathing room. It might be more by feel than by science though unless there are guidelines around these design parameters that are out there that I haven't heard about yet.
Old 4th November 2016, 04:53 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quick update:

The house is coming along. Solar panels are up. Rough electrical and plumbing are nearly done. (I have two separate circuits for power and signal... not that I really believe I'll be able to tell a difference.) The speaker wires and signal cables are being routed for a 7.2.4 Atmos setup although I don't have an Atmos receiver yet. That said I got a refurbished XMC-1 that I might upgrade at some point. Looking forward to getting the line arrays built probably sometime in February at this point.

Old 8th November 2016, 05:13 AM   #106
mayhem13 is offline mayhem13  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Lots of updates to share!

The house is coming along. Still a long way to go (~Jan completion), but it's coming along.

Here's a simpler version of the line arrays built into the walls:

Also, signal chain wise, I decided to go simple for now and then consider other options after evaluating the simple. So I got a factory renewed XMC-1 for processing duties. The turntable will feed into this through a PS audio phono preamp/ADC along with all the other various digital sources. This way, I'll be able to evaluate manual PEQ, Dirac, and also play with convolution through "pre-convolved" files to see what I might be missing.
What you need to do is have your engineer look at this picture before proceeding with your addition! That lower translam is no where near to code in supporting a three story structure as you've shown later in the thread! That's one hot mess dude!
Old 8th November 2016, 05:36 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
What you need to do is have your engineer look at this picture before proceeding with your addition! That lower translam is no where near to code in supporting a three story structure as you've shown later in the thread! That's one hot mess dude!
There's a bunch of other support throughout. It's actually ridiculously over designed. You don't see the plethora of other translam as well as I Beam and hardy panels and shear walls and tie downs and foundation reinforcement etc.
Old 20th January 2017, 10:36 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

The first floor is starting to come together with the drywall and hardwood. I might be able to get 28 of the TC9 in each array. If so, four groups of 7 for a 14 ohm nominal load seems reasonable. Any other ideas for something better? (I'm driving these with Ncore 400.)

There's a chance I may need to go to 27 drivers. And that makes for a more difficult decision (24 or 2.7 ohm.). The nCore are capable of driving a 2Ohm load without any problem but I might be in trouble if I need to change amps for some reason down the line.

The other option is to go to 25 drivers for a 5x5 for a 8 ohm load. But that would leave a few inch gap in the array on the top and bottom. Or I suppose I can space the drivers out a little bit to fill the gap.

What do you all think?
Old 21st January 2017, 12:07 AM   #109
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

DO NOT space out the drivers. That will just make the combing worse.

Having a few inches gaps between the floor and the ceiling is fine. The line arrays need to fill 75% of the wall to get the floor and ceiling imaginary mirror images.

I'd go with 25 drivers and not worry about load.
Old 21st January 2017, 10:18 AM   #110
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I agree, just go with 25. Center the array on the wall to have equal drivers below your seated position and above for standing up. That would probably mean having about an equal distance above and below the array.
I don't reach my ceiling, nor my floor:
Standing up I have 7 drivers above my ear level. Sitting down I have about 9. Still the sound is balanced between these positions. Avoid having sharp edges near the arrays.

"Wall-integrated" corner loaded line array with Vifa TC9 driversHide this!Advertise here!