Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help with first build (FF165WK?)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Skree is offline Skree  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Help with first build (FF165WK?)

Hi

Am wanting to embark on my first speaker build. Currently, I have a pair of Kef C10 (1985) bookshelf speakers which replaced a pair of rubbish eltax floorstanders when I had to downsize recently. Amplification is a TA2020 Class T amp (rated 45w, probably closer to 25 before distortion) although i am very interested in the little 6-7w TA2024 etc amps if i end up with speakers that sensitive. It is because of my interest in low power audio that I am looking at such drivers.

I want to build a pair of desktop speakers approximately 60x30x30 (HxWxD CM) that have sound quality a significant step up from the Kefs, but with a bit "larger scale" sound, like the floorstanders i used to have, had in abundance. They effortlessly filled the (11'x10') room with a wall of sound and I miss this. I want to create an impression of it when sat at my desk.

I've done some research, and have seen people say that their full range builds needed no BSC or other components between amp and driver. If this is possible, I would like to achieve it. I like this from a cost and sound quality perspective.

I've also done a little reading on transmission line mathematics, not enough to go ahead with a design yet but enough to wonder if a T-Line with its bass tuned down a bit is possible in the footprint i specify, and if they are a good choice for this use. I like the idea of T-Line for probably the daftest reason ever to choose a cabinet type but the idea intrigues me

The other choice as far as i can see is take the reference bass reflex plan for whatever driver i choose, and make it a bit taller to fit the size i need, if this is possible without ruining the sound (i know nothing about bass reflex cabinets)

To get the larger scale sound, low bass response, and higher sensitivity i am after, i am considering drivers ~6" such as Fostex's FF165WK and maybe FE168ez but i've no idea what they sound like or how to interpret the datasheet info to get an idea of this. I guess i'm after a fairly well balanced frequency response.

That's a lot of advice i need so i think i'll leave this post there anyone got any help for me?
Thanks

Last edited by Skree; 6th April 2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 6th April 2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

I own both the older Fostex 165k and 168z full range drivers. They are both excellent, musically satisfying drivers as long as the bass response is full. If you build bookshelf sized speakers with these drivers I'd recommend adding a subwoofer for bass support. If you build a back horn (like a BIB) you won't need bass support in an 11' x 10' room. But I'd recommend placing the speakers in the corners. My favorite box for the 6" Fostex 168z is a large bookshelf (that must be placed on the floor) tuned to approximately 60Hz. This combination provides a great bouncy bass sound that easily fills my bedroom with music.

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.co...168z-projects/

If history holds true, the 168 will sound warmer than the 165. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 6th April 2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I suspect if you are intent on building desktop reflex speakers that don't need BSC, neither of those drivers will satisfy you. If you are willing to use BSC and/or tube/valve amplification, it may work.

Consider the Alpair 10.3 or Jordan instead.
Old 6th April 2016, 03:13 PM   #4
giantstairs is offline giantstairs  Spain
diyAudio Member

Having both the FF165wk (as well as the older model) and the Alpair 10.3 I would agree with Greg. Much better bass on the Alpair and pairs better with digital amps, IME. You may want to look at a TPA3116d2 or such amp for a bit more power, although I find I do not need it. The Pass ACA amps sound great with the Alpairs but much less gain.

For more money the Eikona looks ideal for your situation. I say choose a proven box with dimensions you like and then choose the driver. You may be able to fold an MLTL, like the one GM or Jim Griffin did for the Alpair 10.3, and get pretty close to your ideal dimensions.
Old 6th April 2016, 03:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Alpair 10 looks good. It isn't any more sensitive than my Kef C10s though which would worry me bearing in mind my TA2020's meagre output. Am probably limited to about 25w - the 88dB Kefs go pretty loud.. but they can take everything my amp can give until it starts distorting.. i'm trying to get a "bigger" more room filling sound

I'm open as to cabinet design as long as it fits within my projected footprint (ish), just considered reflex because it looks easier to build and i know it sounds reasonable when used as a desktop speaker.

Open to BSC as well, but if there is an existing cabinet design that fits my space and combines with a particular driver and doesn't need one, i would be interested in it.. just like the idea of not having any potential sound degradation and saving the cost of having one

Last edited by Skree; 6th April 2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 6th April 2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Another cabinet to consider is a Karlsonator. It fits within your size requirements, and the BSC is built into the design. The level of construction complexity is higher, but you won't need any electrical filters or EQ to get good bass and a balanced sound.

This was actually the first version. I initially did some kluged modeling for an FE166, but IIRC it looked OK with the FF165WK as well. xrk971 has since developed a vastly more accurate way to model these in AKABAK.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10054...92856466880930
Old 6th April 2016, 04:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hmm. Looking at Frugal-Phile.com. I could make the Mar-Ken for A10.3 work. Now to look for a build log
Old 6th April 2016, 04:45 PM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skree View Post
Amplification is a TA2020 Class T amp (rated 45w, probably closer to 25 before distortion)
Closer to 7W.

Help with first build (FF165WK?)-ta2020-power-png

Quote:
a pair of desktop speakers approximately 60x30x30 (HxWxD CM)
Pretty big for the desktop. Based on 15mm material about 41L and over twice the volume i would use for a reflex (our FF165wk boxes max out at 17L)

Quote:
I've also done a little reading on transmission line mathematics, not enough to go ahead with a design yet but enough to wonder if a T-Line with its bass tuned down a bit is possible in the footprint i specify, and if they are a good choice for this use.
For a TL your box size Might be large snuff… i don't have a TL handy to measure but internal FHXL volume is about 56L.

FF165wk works well in FHXL. We fit FF165wk, or 1 of the 2 Alpair10 into them. I would give the A10s the technical edge in terms of sonics, but FF165wk probably has the edge with rock & roll. FF165wk about 92 dB, A10p 90 dB, A10.3 87 dB.

Quote:
The other choice as far as i can see is take the reference bass reflex plan for whatever driver i choose, and make it a bit taller to fit the size i need, if this is possible without ruining the sound (i know nothing about bass reflex cabinets)
Be careful with the Fostex recommended boxes … the best of them i have heard ar mediocre.

Quote:
To get the larger scale sound, low bass response, and higher sensitivity i am after, i am considering drivers ~6" such as Fostex's FF165WK and maybe FE168ez
FE168e∑ really needs to be in a horn.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png TA2020-power.png (11.7 KB, 404 views)
Old 6th April 2016, 05:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Er, correction, TA2022. It's a Topping TP-60.

Looking at the available options, and being informed that the Alpair 10.3 is more suited to my requirements. A very brief google came up with some possibilities i think could work - such as the mar-ken, on a short stand.

I don't really like plastic bass ports aesthetically. I do like the price of the alpair drivers. I'm just a bit concerned i won't get the increase in (i'm struggling to find the right term) size of sound i'm after out of a driver that isn't any more sensitive than what I have already.

Last edited by Skree; 6th April 2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 6th April 2016, 05:43 PM   #10
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skree View Post
I don't really like plastic bass ports aesthetically.
I don't like them from a performance point of view. T/S parameters are dynamic and change with level (whether in your volume control or the dynamics of the music). With a cyclidrical vent you have a tight tuning and low tolerence to those changes (ie the tuning is off more often than it is on). The added R in the mar-ken gives the box a much larger tolerence to those dynamic changes.

Quote:
I do like the price of the alpair drivers. I'm just a bit concerned i won't get the increase in (i'm struggling to find the right term) size of sound i'm after out of a driver that isn't any more sensitive than what I have already.
The A10s are very good FR speakers. The lack of XO, not the efficiency is what will give them the edge over your current speakers… and nearfield that everything is coming from 1 physical spot gives them a further edge.

If you are looking for maximum image/soundstage consider getting EnABLed drivers, as that is one area where they clearly bring an advantage.

Click the image to open in full size.

Althou the differences are 6 of one. ˝ dozen of another my personal preference is for the paper cone version.

dave

Help with first build (FF165WK?)Hide this!Advertise here!