Tang Band W8-1772 WAW / FAST recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So this will be my first foray into the FAST scene after many years in DIY multi way speakers.

These will be dedicated for 2 channel critical listening and occasional L/R home theater use in a 13 X 18 ft purpose built media room. Listening distance is approximately 11 ft with 8 ft between the two speakers.

Here's what I have to work with......

Two JBL 2226 15" woofers. To drive them, I have an NHT Studio subwoofer stereo amplifier at 250w pch at 8 ohms. There's a selectable low pass 2nd order filter whose high limit is 240hz 2nd order. My initial plan is 5 cuft ported boxes tuned to 30hz and running up to 240hz. These will serve as stands/bass modules for the W8-1772.

So the question is.....what to do with the W8-1772? Open baffle/dipole would seem like an ideal application since I really don't need any low end response.....the JBLs are world class woofers and play super clean to 800hz if needed........but my thinking says keep the entire male vocal range within the fullrange driver.

Or would the 1772 be better suited to a boxed alignment? Ideally, I'd like to keep the fullrange module baffle under 12" wide, smaller if possible. Aesthetically I'd like something similiar to a B&W 801.

TB W8-1772

Hello,

if you listen low level, i would sale the bass.
my solution would be the double horns Saxophon, Posaune XL, or RDH20,
wall and corner placement, down 35 Hz, low membran movement,
max. SPL~105 dB, back driver Monacor SPH-210,

or for a fast system, a satellite horn >120 Hz the SCHALMEI or Trumpet sat,

look my HP, with measurements and feedback.

Attachments

• RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 707
  • schalmei_riethweb4.jpg
    schalmei_riethweb4.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 698
  • poxlwolf2.jpg
    poxlwolf2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 688
  • fostexelephantblitz Kopie.jpg
    fostexelephantblitz Kopie.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
Excellent work hm.

I do listen at reference levels, usually with home theater applications and this where the JBL woofers will be important in relieving the full range driver of any bass responsibility to keep linear cone movement to a minimum and maximize power handling and output.

I have gone the DSP way and never looked back.

It started with my line arrays, and now with the 1772s.

I couldn't get good sound with the arrays without it (arrays need strong EQ).

The same with the 1772, it was shouty and I didn't like it... until I applied DSP to tame it and take care of some room shortcomings.

Then, they shone.

I think you are a perfect candidate for the app JRiver. It could allow you to do your FAST easily with their crossover function. Applying DSP is also a breeze with convolution included in the app. And JRiver is great for H/T as well.

Lost long-ish post...

I started with DSP when I built my line arrays. Line arrays are famous for needing strong EQ.

I followed up when I built my 1772, because as is, they are shouty, and to compensate some room shortcomings.
You wouldn't need so big enclosure if you went sealed. But the 1772s will never look like the B&W 801.

I think you are a good candidate for the app JRiver.

It would allow you to do your FAST easily, and choose the kind of crossover you wish. It also has DSP with convolution, which made the 1772 shine finally.

JRiver is also great for H/T.

454143d1418741454-w8-1772-build-w8-2.jpg

Thanks Perceval, very encouraging that you're happy with the W8 and DSP. I really didn't want to add another ADDA device in the chain but it sounds like it's necessary or simpler than bashing it into compliance with passive components.

Maybe Bob Brines will chime in?

So this will be my first foray into the FAST scene after many years in DIY multi way speakers.

....but my thinking says keep the entire male vocal range within the fullrange driver.
I made that same decision with a tri-amp'd system I was building. I hooked a mic up to an RTA and hummed into it what I considered to be a somewhat low talking voice frequency, then noticed the RTA showed max energy at 111HZ, so I chose 100HZ for the division between woofer and midrange. 240HZ seems too high. When a male singer hits a low note, the feel of the presentation may change significantly.

If you go open baffle on the mid driver(s), you will need high Xmax drivers and EQ that pumps them up at 6dB/oct from about 600HZ on down, depending on baffle step response (that was my experience). I'd recommend at least two 8 inch drivers per side, and a 4 pole active crossover, if you want to go open baffle down to 100HZ. Anything less will disappoint if you prefer "reference" levels (I assume that means pretty loud). I speak from experience. The Linkwitzlab website is a great place to learn about open baffle details and even circuits. I do recommend open baffle for 100HZ to about 1kHZ IF the speakers can be positioned at least 3 feet away from any walls. Otherwise the psycho-acoustic effect is a negative instead of a positive. OB regenerates some of what's lost due to inter-aural crosstalk, giving the sound a more 3-D feel.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. Your suggestions lend towards a compete about face for the gear that I have so the assumed advantages of my proposal are lost on real world performance. I can't see limiting the passband of such an excellent driver as the 2226 to 30-100hz and bringing the 2226 to the limits of its useful limit of 800hz negates the use of the amplifier I have. A true three way is in order or a stereo sub/sat design.

Thanks Perceval, very encouraging that you're happy with the W8 and DSP. I really didn't want to add another ADDA device in the chain but it sounds like it's necessary or simpler than bashing it into compliance with passive components.

Maybe Bob Brines will chime in?

My 1772s are in a Bob Brines' design.

We talked about it, and since he knew I was going the DSP route, we agreed I didn't need passive components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.