Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Which Fostex Driver
Which Fostex Driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2016, 11:48 PM   #1
bmwtubed is offline bmwtubed  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Which Fostex Driver

Hello all,
I am planning to build this enclosure recommended for the FE168ez Fostex driver, however I am also interested in trying the FE166en and FE2016en. Does anyone know if these other two drivers would be a good fit for that enclosure? I'm a total newb when it comes to rear loaded horns... Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (60.8 KB, 463 views)
Old 17th February 2016, 01:04 AM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not an ideal match. The 166 will work (to a point) but you'll have less bass gain than with the 168. The 206 really wants a larger cabinet. For reference, it works quite well in the 208 enclosure (better than the design that is published on the 206 datasheet as it happens).
Old 17th February 2016, 02:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I'll stick with either the 166 or 168 then. The ragged upper end of the 168 scares me a little though.
Old 17th February 2016, 06:19 AM   #4
giantstairs is offline giantstairs  Spain
diyAudio Member

Any reason why you've chosen that BLH? Probably not a good idea to stuff a different driver in there only to be unhappy with the sound after a lot of effort and expense.

If you like the 166 how about a BIB? Simple to build, lots of bass gain (in corners), and designed for the actual specs of your driver. More complex but I believe I remember a horn designed by Ron for this driver a while back.

Good luck!
Old 17th February 2016, 01:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Honestly I'm looking for an enclosure that I can use with many different drivers until I find a driver that I like the most. I would like to eventually end up with some lowthers but I will work up to that kind of expense. I'll take a look at the BIB again.
Old 17th February 2016, 03:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, if you want a horn that you can try a variety of drivers in: bigger is better. To a point anyway. Aim for the largest you can manage, and damp out any excess gain when necessary. Obviously this has issues if you start trying to stuff 3in drivers into something designed for an 8in unit, since the expansion path, throat etc. will be a long way off what the driver needed, so if you want to take this route you should avoid excessively dissimilar driver sizes.

If you want one of the Fostex cabinets, the 206 in the 208ESigma enclosure works well. The FExx6En cabinets (they were actually designed for their FExx6E predecessors) aren't great IMO, but you can get reasonable results from them in the equivalently sized FExx8ESigma horns. The BIB tapped pipe-horn is also a good route -as simple as it gets, so build one with the largest volume / cross sectional area you can manage for a given length if you want to try a few units and again, damp out any excess.
Old 17th February 2016, 06:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you for that advice. When you say the largest cross-sectional area that I can manage, you mean the largest depth. Correct?
Old 17th February 2016, 06:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Width multiplied by depth for a cross section, otherwise it'd be awfully thin. You've got the idea though.
Old 17th February 2016, 07:25 PM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Which Fostex Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtubed View Post
Honestly I'm looking for an enclosure that I can use with many different drivers until I find a driver that I like the most.
bmwtubed,

If you are looking for a cabinet that can accommodate different makes and models of drivers, you might consider the FH-XL.

The Frugel-Horn

The BiB is also a very good design and fairly simple to build.

Last edited by zman01; 17th February 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 17th February 2016, 09:34 PM   #10
giantstairs is offline giantstairs  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtubed View Post
Thank you for that advice. When you say the largest cross-sectional area that I can manage, you mean the largest depth. Correct?
Do a search for the BIB calculator, can't remember which version, and you have the dims for a large number of drivers. Choose the dims of one of the drivers that interests you or input the specs of a specific driver if it's not there.

What height ceiling (so the cab gets some reinforcement) and what amp are you using? With the Fostex and most likely the Lowthers I would consider (IME) corners mandatory, or at the least right up against the back wall and not too far from the ceiling.

By the way, I am far from an expert but have built 4 BIB cabs for different drivers.

Which Fostex DriverHide this!Advertise here!