Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Markaudio Alpair-10M 5.25" gen 3 compared to 10P
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2016, 09:04 PM   #1
jmunkDK is offline jmunkDK  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Markaudio Alpair-10M 5.25" gen 3 compared to 10P

I know this is a difficult question but what are the sound differences between the Markaudio Alpair 10M and 10P?

My intention is to put them in a properly tuned bass reflex cabinet, but then again there is probably not so much difference in the low end.

My amplifier is an Ortofon KS601.

Thanks,

Jens.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:44 PM   #2
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The metal cone is capable of going a bit lower than the paper cone. The biggest differences are really in the top thou, with the paper cone having a more vintage top end. The paper about 2.5 dB more sensitive than the metal.

The metal does need some serious break-in to become its best, and at that point it really is a case of 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

My personal preference is for the paper by a tiny bit, and i seems too of those who come over for a listen.

The amplifier a PP EL84?

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 11th January 2016, 09:59 PM   #3
jmunkDK is offline jmunkDK  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave,

Another unit I have thought of is the Fostex 165WK. How does that compare to the Markaudio Alpair 6"?

My Ortofon is PP 6963.

It has been sitting on the shelf for years and I think I better replace all the electrolytics before firing it up. Bit of a shame though, since it for the most have the original Jensen Capacitor caps.

Jens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The metal cone is capable of going a bit lower than the paper cone. The biggest differences are really in the top thou, with the paper cone having a more vintage top end. The paper about 2.5 dB more sensitive than the metal.

The metal does need some serious break-in to become its best, and at that point it really is a case of 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

My personal preference is for the paper by a tiny bit, and i seems too of those who come over for a listen.

The amplifier a PP EL84?

dave
Old 12th January 2016, 01:19 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FF165wk is different, but a direct competitor to the A10s. I, and others, think the A10s have the edge overall sonically but that FF165wk might be a better choice for those whose diet is primarily rock'n'roll.

dave
Old 4th March 2016, 09:35 AM   #5
JoeyGS is offline JoeyGS  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Will the Frugel horn XL be optimally suitable for the 10M?

I understand that the XL was designed for the 10P.
Old 4th March 2016, 09:41 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The FHXL works great with A10.3. Like the smaller Frugel-Horns they accomodate a wide range of drivers.

dave
Old 4th March 2016, 05:45 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

We constructed a trio of XLs - for both flavors of the Alpair10 as well as the FF165WK. As Dave noted, the Fostex's characteristic tonality and dynamic "jump" factor might be a better choice for rock'n'roll - of which I don't consume much by choice these days. I find it harder to choose between the two Alpairs in this design, but would maybe give the paper the slight edge.
Old 5th March 2016, 04:22 PM   #8
JoeyGS is offline JoeyGS  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I now have drivers for both the 10P and 10M.

Should I build the XL and tune the internal stuffing for one driver type, can I just change and plug in the other driver without the need for adjusting the internal stuffing?
Old 5th March 2016, 07:15 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

For those 2 drivers, damping is quite close for both.

dave
Old 20th November 2018, 07:11 PM   #10
mudihan is offline mudihan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyGS View Post
I now have drivers for both the 10P and 10M.

Should I build the XL and tune the internal stuffing for one driver type, can I just change and plug in the other driver without the need for adjusting the internal stuffing?
Would you mind to share your impression of 10P vs 10M? I am facing the same dilemma, though I am considering sealed enclosures. Thanks!

Markaudio Alpair-10M 5.25" gen 3 compared to 10PHide this!Advertise here!