New Mark Audio Pluvia Seven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well the new Mark Audio Pluvia Seven Gray/Gold cone 4" Full range drivers are available at Madisonsound here in the good old USA! $45.00 per speaker, so they are middle of the road price wise with the CHR70's and Alpair7's. I read the description promoting them as an improved version of the CHR70's, and that they are not recommended for vented enclosures? This stuck me as an odd characteristic for an improved CHR70, which can be used in a variety of alignments? No published box plans on the Madison site yet, so I guess those are in the mill?? Here;s the Madison link:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/markaudio/

Mac:)

Good to see they improved the basket so it probably doesn't break as easily as the Alpair 7.
Anybody got higher resolution anechoic off-axis measurements? The manufacturer supplied graph is pretty useless.

Here is a basic Sketchup model of Dave's design: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u4a105d9f-9254-496b-b509-a7c05bd743d4

This is my first stab at both Sketchup and modeling an enclosure, so if anyone has any tips or things you'd like to be done differently, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the model, helpful for putting things into perspective.

Plan to get going on my build this weekend. Hope to get half done and then wrap up a few weeks after. I'm still debating between glue only and glue plus brad nailer. I'm planning on using bare birch plywood. Does the brad nailer tend to wreck any chance of having a smooth finish or can it be covered up? Should I consider using it only on the bottom, and possibly back, sides of the speaker? It makes assembly so much quicker since I have more flexibility to work on different parts even while others are drying (albeit carefully to not shift things too much).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As well, "15 mm material". Is this closest to 3/4" or 5/8" plywood?

Take your tape measure.Windsor here advertises BB as ¾", ⅝", and ½" but it is actually 18, 15, 12mm.

But rarely is a peice of ply the extact thickness advertised. One always needs to take into account actual thickness before making the cut plan.

dave

No Brainer

Built this design ,for a different driver, as a gift for my son. You simply can't go wrong!!! I have this new driver in a sealed box now breaking in. This enclosure is next. But whatever material you use, pay attention to the internal dimensions and suggested internal bracing,dampening. Thanks Dave, and M.A.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wasn't going to change from how I have been doing it since Rounds 3-4. Still use Zoom H4 in 96kHz 24bit wav file. Process file in Audacity to use mono channel and set max level. Convert to 320kbit MP3 for upload to DIYA servers.

Sound tracks will be stereo to mono converted and played through one speaker channel.

Measurments will be at same location as recording mic = 0.5m away.

Average SPL will be typically set at 85dB to 89dB. Sound will be sourced from CD playing on my old Phillips CD carousel.

It has digital output so I may try a new external DAC rather than built in one in CD player.

I may try new amp if it's up and running in time - class AB LM3886 with Burr Brown OPA something pre amp.

Last edited:
Got started on my boxes tonight for the 7.5L reflex. One is sitting clamped except for the front baffle and port shelf. Other will be glued in a couple hours when I feel comfortable taking some clamps off. Going reasonably smoothly so far. Drivers should be in this week and then can wrap up soon. Do Mark Audio speakers typically include mounting screws?

Yes, the drivers should come with screws- most likely M3 hex head straight shank coarse thread screws , and IIRC, separate die cut synthetic rubber gaskets with 3M hi strength peal and (really) stick adhesive.

Carefully test for appropriate size of pilot holes for the stock mounting screws - if you try to force the screw in an under sized hole, your hex screw might slip with disastrous results - and whatever screw your use don't over tighten them - just snug enough to slightly compress the compliant gaskets is more than adequate.

My drivers arrived with 5 hex screws each, and gasket material as Chris described above.

I created another model based upon Dave's design, but this time included an internal support, which required increasing the overall height by 2mm to maintain the original Vas. Additionally, this model is for 12mm thick material, since that's what I have on hand and will be cutting tomorrow.

Sure, as soon as someone provides me a free sample for testing - I am kind of through buying drivers for testing with the last big purchase of a pair of enabled FF85WkEn's.

:)

I'm willing to donate a free sample. Do you still have all those other drivers you've used in your listening tests? I'd love to see measurements that make it easy to compare drivers on an objective level. This would require to measure all drivers under the same conditions. Would you be interested in doing something like this? I would do it myself but unfortunately I don't have the required space.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.