Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Mark Audio Pluvia Seven
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2015, 07:57 AM   #11
ChuckORWC is offline ChuckORWC  United States
diyAudio Member

I sent you an email about the EL70eNs. Since they're probably beyond my budget, a Pluvia optimized Derwent would be of great interest to me and probably many others...

The ~9" depth of the Derwents is really appealing to me. At the listening distance, angling the FH3s sufficiently would probably put them too far off-axis. Also, there's actually a stairway opening off to the side behind the right speaker, which also complicates matters.

Anyway, don't want to take the thread too far off the Pluvia topic.. they look like promising drivers at a reasonable price.

Thanks again.
Old 6th January 2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Wiggle8 is offline Wiggle8  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was initially looking to build a ported CHR-70 arrangement and saw that this driver has just been released. I see the Pluvia is not recommended for ported enclosures though which is what I had been leaning towards. Perhaps someone can recommend which driver and box arrangement I should be looking at for my application.

I would like to build a pair using a single full range driver each speaker. They will be installed on wall mounted shelves approximately 10" square foot print. A form factor that sits on this shelve without overhanging and leaving a half inch or so to route speaker cable would be best. So depth should be approximately 9". I am leaning towards sealed or front ported. Since these will be wall-mounted something slightly thinner in the bass region may be a good idea.

They will be used mainly for radio/podcasts and music for when guests are visiting. Low volume only.
Old 6th January 2016, 04:31 PM   #13
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't know where Madisound came up with the comment about it being unsuitable for vented boxes. Either somebody got the wrong end of the stick, or based that comment on EBP (which is at best a massively over-simplified approximation). There is absolutely no technical reason why this unit can't be used in a vented box.
Old 6th January 2016, 05:32 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

An excellent example of vented enclosure being a BLH such as the FH3. I'm glad we tried them there before reading it was not recommended.

I found they work quite well in the horn- albeit not quite as extended in the bottom, or as resolving as the A7.3, but certainly an improvement to my ears over the CHR70.3

Have we reached the point of embarressment of riches in the category of small full-range driver, as imperfect as some measurements will inevitably prove the class and specific examples to be?

Yes, that's a rhetorical question.
Old 6th January 2016, 05:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I am thinking of building the Pluvia 7 into the "slim-deeper bass reflex box" listed here:

CHR 70 Metal | Markaudio

I may just modify the depth to be 1/2" shorter to accomodate my shelf, I can widen the front slightly to compensate for the slight amount of volume loss.
Old 6th January 2016, 05:53 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Just keep the net internal volume the same, and you should be fine.

From my experience with a fair number of other FR drivers in this approximate size class, if you could possibly afford the floor space required, a full length MLTL or BLH would deliver deeper and more articulate bass. The FH3 also produces a very nice soundstage.
Old 6th January 2016, 05:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. Due to room contraints I'd like to keep with the bookshelf style. I do understand the advantage of the floor mounted styles with the tall enclosure. I built 5 channel set of creativesound speakers (V2 MTM center, V2 MLTL and V1 bookshelf) and the extension on the V2 MLTL is very impressive, especially considering the mid/woofs are only 4" diameter (CSS VWR126X) .

Last edited by Wiggle8; 6th January 2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 6th January 2016, 06:58 PM   #18
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I would be wary of putting pluvia in a vented box for any other driver. I have yet to rework the miniOnken for this driver, but it is closer to the EL70 than the CHR70 as far as boxes go. You could put it in that volume but you would very likely need to change the tuning.

dave
Old 6th January 2016, 09:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Would the port diameter likely change or just the length?
Old 6th January 2016, 11:46 PM   #20
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Likely just a change in length. 7.5 litre they say tuned to 57 hz.

The factory tuning has a bit of a bump in it -- ideal if you use a high aspect ratio vent to knock it down (full width, 12mm tall, 147mm long). 1.5" (38mm) plumbing pipe is easy to get, 113 mm long but bass may be a bit fat, maybe boomy (vrs the slot).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif pluvia7-75L-vented.gif (20.1 KB, 1370 views)

New Mark Audio Pluvia SevenHide this!Advertise here!