Wild Burro Betsy's - Open Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a pair of Wild Burro Audio Labs 'Betsy' drivers recently. My plan was to build a pair of open baffles mentioned on the website and give them to my dad.

So the drivers came in Wednesday, I went to Lowes Thursday afternoon and got a few 3/4" edge glued pine panels. Cut them to size, cut some driver holes, sanded them nicely and finished em out.

By that evening I was enjoying some tasty Pinot Noir from Oregon and some tunes through the new speakers.

They sound great, the bass response really surprised me, admittedly I wasn't expecting much there, but there is much more bass response than I thought would be there.

I am enjoying these so much. Damn fine product.

IMG_2015_zps4xtvmotb.jpg

IMG_2012_zpsjusnjyjf.jpg

IMG_2011_zpsxb3s6zrq.jpg

Last edited:
Great and nice work. You have made the design that appear in the page of Wild Burro Audio, a 'folding screen' style. Also recommended the 'QUAD ESL-57' style open baffle:

JE Labs Arkiv: Open Baffle

I also are interested in the Betsy, but I like more the 'Magneplanar' style of open baffle. Anybody have try the Betsy in this model of open baffle, please, can say your impressions?:

The Chill-baffle speaker page

chill-baffle.png

They sound great, the bass response really surprised me, admittedly I wasn't expecting much there, but there is much more bass response than I thought would be there.

Open baffles can have great bass. Problem is many people make them too small, in an attempt to meet modern expectations I suppose. Fortunately you are in Texas (apparently), and big is not a problem. ;)

Nice build, congrats.

Open baffles can have great bass. Problem is many people make them too small, in an attempt to meet modern expectations I suppose. Fortunately you are in Texas (apparently), and big is not a problem. ;)

Nice build, congrats.

Funny, I've been thinking about a bass solution for my main system. It's a 4-way, horn loaded system. I'm using some cloned JBL 'W' bins for bass currently, covering ~40-150hz. They sound better than the bass reflex bass bins they replaced, but ideally I'd like something better.

I've considered a SLOB perhaps, with some eq down low. Who knows, I could end up building some large bass horns, thankfully I have a large living room, and more importantly a _very_ understanding gf.

I'm currently looking for drivers for my upcoming OB project.

Right now I have a pair of 8" GRS drivers augmented with some 1" dome tweaters in a bass reflex cab.

OB has always made me curious and I've decided to try building one. My plan is to cut a 35.5"x31.5" baffle out of 3/4" ply or hardwood.

For the drivers I'm considering some Visaton BG20, the wild burro Betsy, and possibly a Fostex.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nice looking project.

You can get 4 GRS 15" woofers delivered to your door for $100. Put two on each baffle with a fairly big coil in series. Top that with a Wild Burro and you're good to go. Optionally add a cap in series with the Betsy to limit her excursion.

I've done this and was very happy with the results. All the bass you carve, and a sweet midrange and top end. Not Fullrange single driver of course, but still a lot of fun for not much money.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Funny, I've been thinking about a bass solution for my main system. It's a 4-way, horn loaded system. I'm using some cloned JBL 'W' bins for bass currently, covering ~40-150hz. They sound better than the bass reflex bass bins they replaced, but ideally I'd like something better.

I've considered a SLOB perhaps, with some eq down low. Who knows, I could end up building some large bass horns, thankfully I have a large living room, and more importantly a _very_ understanding gf.

Might I suggest a push-pull, slot load bass section to match your horn system?

This design (ppsl) goes together really well with horns, because they also have that dynamic "slam" factor.

Sorry, I know this is OT from the post, but I just wanted to suggest this, to answer the question from pcgab.

Nice looking project.

You can get 4 GRS 15" woofers delivered to your door for $100. Put two on each baffle with a fairly big coil in series. Top that with a Wild Burro and you're good to go. Optionally add a cap in series with the Betsy to limit her excursion.

I've done this and was very happy with the results. All the bass you carve, and a sweet midrange and top end. Not Fullrange single driver of course, but still a lot of fun for not much money.

Would the Eminence Alpha 15" be a step up from the GRS?

I also assume I would need a crossover between the Betsy and the woofers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.