Wild Burro Betsy's - Open Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't see the Alpha as a step up, even tho I do like and respect Eminence drivers. If you like the idea, it's not a bad way to go.

You don't have to do a crossover on the Betsy, but it's not a bad idea. The Betsy is only going to play so low, adding a high pass filter just means you aren't throwing energy at it that serves no purpose. And you aren't asking the driver to move the cone for bass sounds that don't add anything. A single cap is all you need. I like the motor run oil filled caps for this sort of job.

I don't see the Alpha as a step up, even tho I do like and respect Eminence drivers. If you like the idea, it's not a bad way to go.

You don't have to do a crossover on the Betsy, but it's not a bad idea. The Betsy is only going to play so low, adding a high pass filter just means you aren't throwing energy at it that serves no purpose. And you aren't asking the driver to move the cone for bass sounds that don't add anything. A single cap is all you need. I like the motor run oil filled caps for this sort of job.

Thanks for the clarifications.

The other path I'm looking at besides a full range driver was going with a Coaxial. Namely the 15" Silver Iris from hawthorn audio or possibly the Beta-10CX from Eminence. I like the coaxial because they have the unified look of a full range with the wider bandwidth of a two-way. Space is also a big consideration and I think two 15" drivers would be overkill for my needs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Coaxials are not as easy as they should be. I've heard and worked with a lot of them, and crossover development can be a long process. It does pay off in the end, tho. :up:

As for the twin 15s, since I was building a tall baffle, so there was no reason not to do the stack. No more footprint than a single 15". But if you need to stay low, the twin woofer probably won't work.

noob question

Nice looking project.

You can get 4 GRS 15" woofers delivered to your door for $100. Put two on each baffle with a fairly big coil in series. Top that with a Wild Burro and you're good to go. Optionally add a cap in series with the Betsy to limit her excursion.

I've done this and was very happy with the results. All the bass you carve, and a sweet midrange and top end. Not Fullrange single driver of course, but still a lot of fun for not much money.

what is a fairly big coil in series? and is there somewhere I can get more info on the cap you used?

I'm sure we will! Haha!

Experimenting with various full range drivers on open baffle to see which I like best. Planning to supplement the bottom end with some GRS 15PF-8's (2 or 4) and active crossover with miniDSP. Also working on various amps to power it all; ACA, Alpha 20W, MoFo, M2x, MyRef Fremen Edition.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.