:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alpair 7 costs a bit more, in comparison, but I think you'll find no lack of bass with that driver. Cutout is nearly identical to the FE126en.

I ran the FE126en in a BK12 for about a year and switched to the MA A7 in the FH3 and much prefer the Alpair. Better bottom, better top - though the better bass is certainly a function of the FH3.

The FE126en is by no means a bad driver, IMO, and has a very pleasant sweet spot at a particular volume level, but runs out of steam very quickly.

Alpair 7 definitely gets my vote sonically - it and the exotic MOAP7 are my personal favorites for the FH3, but note that its through hole is slightly larger than the FE12x series, and more importantly, it has a very thick mounting flange which really needs to be flush with baffle surface, so it's not just a drop in.

An easy alternative would be the Fostex FF125WK, which is exactly the same frame size, and while slightly lower sensitivity will probably do a better job in the bass department.

Ray, agreed that the 126 is excellent in the right application, but I think the A7.3 will deliver better bass in any enclosure of equal size - at the price of both sensitivity and dollars.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The trianglular prisms aganst the wall:

uFonkenSE-comp.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.