Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2015, 01:23 PM   #21
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the panels on the wall? Could they be absorbing bass? Also make sure the fh3's are in the corners (I'm sure you know that!).
Old 12th December 2015, 03:25 PM   #22
Ensoniq is offline Ensoniq  United States
diyAudio Member

3/4" panels. I can't put then directly in the corners since I have bass traps, (and diffusers and absorbers on walls).
also besides the screws that are clearly seen, I nailed the boards with Finish nails.
Old 12th December 2015, 03:39 PM   #23
Ensoniq is offline Ensoniq  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of switching drivers.. which ones for the similar price and same size are compatible with FH mk3 ? with more bass
Old 12th December 2015, 04:09 PM   #24
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

You can check out this one:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...l-range-8-ohm/

A little higher priced than the FE126En. IIRC P10 and Chrisb tried it out in the FH3 and found it a good match - they would be able to comment.
Old 12th December 2015, 06:50 PM   #25
Ray21 is offline Ray21  United States
diyAudio Member

Alpair 7 costs a bit more, in comparison, but I think you'll find no lack of bass with that driver. Cutout is nearly identical to the FE126en.

I ran the FE126en in a BK12 for about a year and switched to the MA A7 in the FH3 and much prefer the Alpair. Better bottom, better top - though the better bass is certainly a function of the FH3.

The FE126en is by no means a bad driver, IMO, and has a very pleasant sweet spot at a particular volume level, but runs out of steam very quickly.
Old 12th December 2015, 10:14 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Alpair 7 definitely gets my vote sonically - it and the exotic MOAP7 are my personal favorites for the FH3, but note that its through hole is slightly larger than the FE12x series, and more importantly, it has a very thick mounting flange which really needs to be flush with baffle surface, so it's not just a drop in.

An easy alternative would be the Fostex FF125WK, which is exactly the same frame size, and while slightly lower sensitivity will probably do a better job in the bass department.

Ray, agreed that the 126 is excellent in the right application, but I think the A7.3 will deliver better bass in any enclosure of equal size - at the price of both sensitivity and dollars.
Old 13th December 2015, 12:19 AM   #27
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Add the Fostex FX120 to the "more bass" list of drivers, although they are getting a bit more spendy as time goes by.

jeff
Old 15th December 2015, 07:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

FYI - some folks have built a rear deflector and stuck a "stealth" woofer in it for a FAST.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:05 PM   #29
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

some folks - now, to whom would that be referring?
Old 15th December 2015, 09:56 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I was trying to keep it stealthy but I guess the cat's out of the bag now!

:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxesHide this!Advertise here!