Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2015, 08:51 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The whole FH-ing family was modeled and "fine tuned by ear" with 1/2" felt in strategic locations immediately surrounding the driver, and calibrated amounts of fibre fill above, and with certain models, below the drivers. The combination of incomplete enclosure sealing and incorrect damping would pretty much guarantee them to not work properly.
Old 11th December 2015, 12:58 AM   #12
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
6 litres is too small. I went out to 14.5L with my Onkens. They had lots of bass with the FE127's.

jeff
I also concluded they were too small, but the screaming treble peaks in the 127's were awful enough to make it moot.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th December 2015, 02:49 AM   #13
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I also concluded they were too small, but the screaming treble peaks in the 127's were awful enough to make it moot.
If someone would hurry up and invent a time machine, I could go back and try a notch filter.

jeff
Old 11th December 2015, 04:30 AM   #14
Ensoniq is offline Ensoniq  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry guys.. I'm such an idiot. Yesterday was testing them with a headphone out from my motu Sound card going to amp input. Bc didn't have the right cable connectors.

Today tried thru normal line outs. Highs are good. But the lows are still alittle disappointing.
I listened right at the rear port and the 'bass' sounds like around 200-300hz not at below 80hz like bass ports usually sound if you tick your ear right next to them
Old 11th December 2015, 04:47 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

With my not so good carpentry skills and rushing, one speaker came out different dimensions from the other, even thou when I listen in monk the audio is dead center even bass.

Pink insulation i stuck only in the rear / narrower channel. Made even too much of it. Don't have photo tho

:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxes-image-jpg

:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxes-image-jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (562.0 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (126.1 KB, 482 views)
Old 11th December 2015, 04:49 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (444.0 KB, 265 views)
Old 11th December 2015, 04:52 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Frugal Horn with the big boys: (FH looks crooked in the photo for some reason)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (497.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 11th December 2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
If someone would hurry up and invent a time machine, I could go back and try a notch filter.

jeff
and I could build the boxes bigger too
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th December 2015, 06:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I have some familiarity with this particular design.

Proper air tight sealing of all joints is critical to proper bass performance of this design, certainly not the least of which is the closed lower tip. To ensure this, the Planet10 kits are machined with the back and interior panel dadoed in on one side, with a slight overlap and 5dg scarfe joint on the back panel, and a small angled wedge glue block to add extra glue surface and ensure seal.

On your larger photo it appears the front panel is planted on, and held on with only a few screws. These would not be enough to do the job - if you're not gluing this for an initial testing / assessment of damping period, I'd increase that to at least one screw every 6' and use closed cell foam weather stripping tape.

And this is not a conventionally ported design, so don't be surprised with more output above 80 Hz from the rear mouth, and to be honest, with the FE126, not much more than an octave below that in any enclosure

Last edited by chrisb; 11th December 2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12th December 2015, 01:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Errata - in above post, clearly that should read "one screw at least every 6 inches" - i.e. if attaching front panel without gluing

:-( my (fe126en) FrugalHorn mk3 boxes sound wore than small boxesHide this!Advertise here!