which fullrange might work as well as LE5A on a 250Hz tractrix w. 2.5" x 2.5" throat?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
which fullrange might work as well as LE5A on a 250Hz tractrix w. 2.5" x 2.5" throat?

just in case my ancient LE5 alnico have pooped out, is there a little Fostex or other speaker to do midrange duty? my midbass horn will probably be around 103-105dB sensitive (half space) and would like to keep xover passive

IIRC, 4fe32 didn't look so good on my 250 horn as there was a large ~8.8K peak that needs to be tamed (an added LCR trap should work pretty well)

Bruce Edgar used ScotchBrite strips to make leaky gaskets for gapped drivers - all I had handy was a bit of polyfil
y6KdeEf.gif

CHN70 had similar sensitivity to 4fe32 but its dips remained - there's a TC9FD Karlsonator there too to show relative
sensitivity
D8mczgD.gif

jImVDvz.gif

my LE5 were last showing Qts >>2 - they may still make good graphs (?)

the Galaxy is still a pig N a poke - but it does seem to have a nice rising graph - dunno how sensitive the midbass may be but could be pretty hot with a 12pe32 which is rated in the midrange as a direct radiator as ~"101dB"

hope it'll survive the rigors of shipping
7E9h3Bz.jpg

thanks X - that may be workable - I'd like good sensitivity - how about the FE126EN? - my LE5 now read with Qts~2, fs ~350 - I have JBL 104H-2 which are nowhere near extended as a healthy LE5 which read Qts ~0.86, fs ~240 - they might make it to 3K reasonably well on that tractrix. There is a little RT4 at Ebay mentioned by POOH which may be worth a chance.

Last edited:
They're not too cheap, but the FE108EZ sounded good in a horn with a throat about that size. The response is only mildly rising direct radiating, so they might be a bit mellow. They are somehow sort of vintage sounding, and might compare well to the JBL.

I also briefly played with the extinct FF125K and front horns. IIRC I tried a shallowish conical and a crude attempt at a large radial, again with similar throat size. They seemed quite good, and perhaps a bit more lively and detailed. IIRC Bruce Edgar tried them once in one of his horns and didn't like them, but it may have been a round one.

The FF125 dustcap HF 'extender' is not normally noticeable when used as a FR, but seems to conflict if you try to cross it to a HF horn unless covered with a felt furniture disk. As the FF105WK shares this feature, I'd lean toward the (cheaper) FE126EN, which seems to be the closest current equivalent to the older FF125, and there's no dustcap to mod.

Galaxy S5N does look like a contender also, but I've only heard the older galaxy drivers in hotspots. Can't comment on them from personal experience for hifi. Looks slightly more efficient at the expense of some smoothness.

Maybe the JBL have something stuck in them?

I don't think the old Galaxy from the Hotspots would cut it - - LE5 went from ~350-7KHz (on axis) on my horn with good off-axis behavior - its current Qts is around 2-2.1 and fs around 350 - may still work - might work better than the 104H-2 whose fs is around 240 and qts ~0.86 - mass corner does not apply always with these things.

it would be nice to find someone who had played with the neo Galaxy - or little Fostex. I could roll a tweeter in around 2K and not worry too much about the mid's upper extension. POOH mentioned an "RT4" as being friendly to tractrix.

bi-amped - do you think a direct radiator mid would blend with the 1.2M path horn ??? - I can't afford a mini DSP - the midbass horn's mouth is 18.5H x 20W

You may as well try the LE5. I'd expect the surrounds and spiders will loosen up a little bit with some exercise. Have you plugged anything into hornresp for guesstimation?

Not sure how to do that crossover without dsp or other delay. 1.2m is what, about 4 milliseconds?

For my taste, I'd probably go for the FE126, as everything about it says wideband front horn driver. If it's like a smaller more detailed FE164 with a bigger motor and no whizzer to remove, it should be just right. Seems like someone must have front horn loaded one?? -- despite most people seemingly putting them into an OB or other inappropriate enclosure.

While it might be what I would do, I'm hardly a front horn expert. Where's GM??

could land a ferrite NOS Galaxy S5C160-8 for about $40 shipped - FE126EN would be about $30 more shipped - I'd trust the Fostex to work lively in the XKi made for PA130 (not yet shipped) - without graphs, anything is a toss as to success. My old Edgarhorns were easy to align as were only 20.5" deep from an ~400sq.in. mouth to an 80 sq.in. throat which held a 2220H. I'm hoping the new horn can hit near 80Hz reasonably solid - might be hoping a bit too much (?) - I still have faith in little Karlson couplers being able to compete with small midbass horns and that K12, X15/115BK are more enjoyable than a stock La Scala. The K will not be as loud as a proper front loaded horn - but it will in general have good cone control with 200 watt peaks with say a Kappa12A and stay within the published X-max on drum solos. A K-tube is easier to make than a horn, and very natural sounding plus blends well with bass/midbass K-coupler.

Last edited:
here's an old note from Bruce Edgar commenting upon the ferrite Galaxy driver on my type horn - the Galaxy behaved worse than the 104H-2 which I still own and 104H-2 were about an octave shy of the extension available with the old alnico LE5. As drivers age, their suspension unfortunately often stiffens - my AN8 which are not very old have fs a half octave higher than new, I've seen vintage 12" speakers with fs >100Hz. btw, the Galaxy neo looks like it may sport a foam surround (?)

Re: Galaxy Audio S5C160-8 5" stage monitor speaker. <NT> - Bruce Edgar - High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It appears to be cloth surround - I think the Nd motor and TS parameters appear to be very good for horn loading and the frequency response is basically full range. I would imagine this is better than the ferrite - generally the BL goes up when switching to Nd motor.

For an extra $20 vs the ferrite I think it is worth it - someone should try these drivers. Can't find anyone who has so far on diya.

I would get it but can't justify it given that I have the PRV already. I know the PRV works like gang busters.

qts is higher for the neo version - some pictures made the surround look like foam - these larger images seem to show cloth
Amazon has the best deal on the neo Galaxy ~$53 and if one chooses slower free shipping, then $5.99 is applied towards prime-pantry

the new midbass horn must weigh around 55lb w/o driver as shipping weight was 62lb

Neo
Fs 140 Hz
Qts 0.39
Qms .83
Qes 0.72
Vas .079 cu. ft. (2.37 ltr.)

Ferrite
Fs ................................................................................ 140 Hz
Qts ................................................................................... 0.30
Qms ................................................................................... 1.34FerroFluid Cooled
Qes .................................................................................. 0.38
Vas ............................................................................. .24 cu. ft.

g9nMCNT.jpg

3ihWMkM.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a fabric surround with some sort of textured coating, but it's hard to tell. Partsexpress does not specify the material on their catalog page.

Note that PE's measured graphs are not nearly as impressive as the factory graphs. They're not bad though. It'd be worth a try.

The B&C 5MDN38 looks good but costs more money.

If the plan is to use the midrange horn up to 10k, my money is still on the Fostex sounding best. If crossing over to a HF horn at 4 or 5k, I'll venture the Galaxy or another pro midrange might be better.

the neo is a pretty good chunk of change to find out and the heavier ferrite long out of production - Galaxy does offer a cheaper version which can get for $20 shipped

Galaxy Audio SFD114GA5X18 4.5" Full Range Speaker

yeah GregB - PE's graph shows a nice peak which might exacerbate on the horn (?) http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/290-020-galaxy-audio-s5n-8--40750.pdf

it is best to restrict a mdhorn's bandwidth? - guess that would depend upon the horn's directivity, driver, and tweeter behavior. At reasonable levels I bet an Eminence 1" driver on a 511 horn could xover around 600-700 safe and loud - it would be the pea-shooter top octave dispersion which might be a subjective issue

I have some JBL 104H-2 - even they have stiffened somewhat over time but Qt is around 0.86 vs 2 for the dried-out alnico LE5-2 - maybe some lacquer thinner, then thinned Permatex goop on LE5's surround would loosen things assuming the spider is still pliable (?)

a fullrange survey on a tractrix horn might be interesting

104H-2 spec
attachment.php

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.