What is better than JXR6 HD - Current state of the art drivers for FAST / WAW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The EAD site mentions the MKII drivers are just about ready for sale now, so hopefully soon. Also did try to look up the Bandor drivers but it appears that company is no more (the URLs are inactive for .COM and .CO.UK).

Mark Audio looks interesting but I'm not sure if they have the same level of refinement as went into the JXR6HD and later EAD clones. I like the sound of the JXR6HD so don't want to go backwards in sound quality when replacing them which I'll have to soon due to the coil rasp (but still happy I have had 10+ years out of them). The Alpair 7.3 will just fit into the speakerbox I'm using however being a larger speaker with a heaver cone I wonder if some of the high frequency 'sweetness' of the smaller JXR6HD will be missing?

Colin, seeming as you have a lot of experience with the Jordans, can you recommend a worthy replacement for the JXR6HD as it is now out of production?

Tigerdog, did you manage to contact EAD for your Sweden trip? I have tried emailing them and registering as interested in their MKII drivers but have not heard back. They have obviously had some delays although the last news was that the drivers were almost ready for production back in September.

My JXR6HD drivers are getting worse as the spiderless design makes it easier for the voicecoil to rub/rasp and I get temporary relief by flexing the cone however this obviously isn't ideal. Time to replace.

I'm open to any other suggestions for drivers that are as good or better than the Jordan JXR6HD but am wary of trying another driver set and it not meeting expectations (especially in the higher frequencies which are very nuanced with the JXR6HD).

Colin, given your background with EJJordan and now that the JXR6HD is out of production, do you have any recommendations for replacement?

Thanks Chris. Do you know the sonic difference between the Jordan drivers & the Mark Audio drivers? The Alpair 5.2 driver has a nice bump between 100 and 200Hz which should suit my purpose (I want to roll it off around 100Hz - 120Hz to a sub).

The free to air design looks interesting - how does that affect the sonic signature compared to a spider design (or ferrofluid which the small Jordan uses)?

Dean - I've not heard any Jordans more recently than a very short lived -model that I think followed the JX6R - probably 8 or 9 yrs ago and was I'm told actually produced by Mark, perhaps as a prototype? So , anything I'd say in that regard would be entirely supposition.

I will say that while obviously lacking the LF response of the A6.2 or A6P, the new 5.2 is very engaging - to the point that it might switch places with the FF85WK on my list of favoured drivers in that weight class. I've currently got a pair each in a short and very small CSA floorstander design by Scott L ( Giraffe, I think?), and the FH-Lite.

Don't ask me for modelling or in room measurements for any of these designs; sorry, but that's jusypt not something I do, or frankly care too much about - which of course disqualifies me as an aficionado of the science part of the hobby. I'll just bottom feed on good work done by those so equipped and inclined.

And I personally l find the expression "state of the art" almost as meaningless as speaker power ratings- so there's yet another reason to discount my utterances.

Last edited:
Tigerdog, did you manage to contact EAD for your Sweden trip? I have tried emailing them and registering as interested in their MKII drivers but have not heard back. They have obviously had some delays although the last news was that the drivers were almost ready for production back in September.

My JXR6HD drivers are getting worse as the spiderless design makes it easier for the voicecoil to rub/rasp and I get temporary relief by flexing the cone however this obviously isn't ideal. Time to replace.

I'm open to any other suggestions for drivers that are as good or better than the Jordan JXR6HD but am wary of trying another driver set and it not meeting expectations (especially in the higher frequencies which are very nuanced with the JXR6HD).

Colin, given your background with EJJordan and now that the JXR6HD is out of production, do you have any recommendations for replacement?

I just rediscovered my old pair. Loving them just sitting atop dual 15 inch Onkens, actively crossovered 4th ordered at 800 hertz.

Do you think I'll have voice coil issues?

The JXR6HD and short-lived JX62 were the last of the smaller drivers produced by Jordan (both manufactured by MarkAudio). Ted then moved on to an all-out assault on refining and improving the 100mm cone driver, resulting in the Eikona 1 and then, with a few more refinements, the Eikona 2. Although it doesn't have the HF reach of JXR6, we all preferred the Eikona and ceased development of the 50mm design. We have customers who are using it in the FAST concept, with a powered bass system.

Although ostensibly based on Ted's 1990s designs, the EAD models went their own way and were not approved by him.

Incidentally, the JXR6 problems can sometimes be sorted by rotating the driver on the baffle through 180 degrees and remounting. The problem is that the ferrofluid makes a good damping element, over time it allows the cone to drift off-centre.

The JXR6HD and short-lived JX62 were the last of the smaller drivers produced by Jordan (both manufactured by MarkAudio). Ted then moved on to an all-out assault on refining and improving the 100mm cone driver, resulting in the Eikona 1 and then, with a few more refinements, the Eikona 2. Although it doesn't have the HF reach of JXR6, we all preferred the Eikona and ceased development of the 50mm design. We have customers who are using it in the FAST concept, with a powered bass system.

Although ostensibly based on Ted's 1990s designs, the EAD models went their own way and were not approved by him.

Incidentally, the JXR6 problems can sometimes be sorted by rotating the driver on the baffle through 180 degrees and remounting. The problem is that the ferrofluid makes a good damping element, over time it allows the cone to drift off-centre.

Thanks. Maybe I'll put them on a rotation schedule, at the start of each month. I like them better by far than some 4" whizzer coned eBay paper drivers, and actually prefer them over my 12P and 12PW pairs.
Surprising to me, because I've preferred paper drivers for years. Sadly, I'm down to my last 3 pair of ancient NOS Peerless 16 ohm 2" alnico tweeters. Nobody makes 'em like those, anymore!

Since I'll be experimenting with some Class A 10 watt solid state amps, I wanted some more efficient drivers. A pair of Faital Pro 3Fe22 8 ohm Neodymium drivers is on the way. Hopeful they'll be an even better match to my dual 15" Celestions in their Onken boxes.
They are paper drivers, like the 15"ers, look to have a quite good off axis response, easy to mount, and are fairly inexpensive.
I've yet to be let down by pro drivers, but am curious prior to delivery. Has anyone tried these as dipole, minimal baffle?

Since I'll be experimenting with some Class A 10 watt solid state amps, I wanted some more efficient drivers. A pair of Faital Pro 3Fe22 8 ohm Neodymium drivers is on the way. Hopeful they'll be an even better match to my dual 15" Celestions in their Onken boxes.
They are paper drivers, like the 15"ers, look to have a quite good off axis response, easy to mount, and are fairly inexpensive.
I've yet to be let down by pro drivers, but am curious prior to delivery. Has anyone tried these as dipole, minimal baffle?

I'm curious—did you consider the 4Fe32 8Ω version? If so, why did you go with the 3" driver?

I'm curious—did you consider the 4Fe32 8Ω version? If so, why did you go with the 3" driver?

I already have some 4" full range drivers, and hope a 3" will have better off axis dispersion.
I may have wasted my money on the pair anyways. I was ready to dust off and sell my Bohlender Neo 3, 8, and 10 pairs, but the 10s are wonderful just sitting atop in their Meniscus Audio flushmount frames.
I only notice the missing top octave if I'm pretty much directly in a tweeter's line of fire.
10,000 hz and up must be pretty beamy; I wonder how much of it we hear when not "locked in" to a critical listening window.
The Faitals will need to be very very good for me to part company with the dipole Neo 10s sound, from 800hz and up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.