Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What is better than JXR6 HD - Current state of the art drivers for FAST
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2018, 05:05 AM   #91
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post
Tigerdog, did you manage to contact EAD for your Sweden trip? I have tried emailing them and registering as interested in their MKII drivers but have not heard back. They have obviously had some delays although the last news was that the drivers were almost ready for production back in September.

My JXR6HD drivers are getting worse as the spiderless design makes it easier for the voicecoil to rub/rasp and I get temporary relief by flexing the cone however this obviously isn't ideal. Time to replace.

I'm open to any other suggestions for drivers that are as good or better than the Jordan JXR6HD but am wary of trying another driver set and it not meeting expectations (especially in the higher frequencies which are very nuanced with the JXR6HD).

Colin, given your background with EJJordan and now that the JXR6HD is out of production, do you have any recommendations for replacement?
I just rediscovered my old pair. Loving them just sitting atop dual 15 inch Onkens, actively crossovered 4th ordered at 800 hertz.

Do you think I'll have voice coil issues?
Old 9th April 2018, 11:29 AM   #92
Colin is online now Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The JXR6HD and short-lived JX62 were the last of the smaller drivers produced by Jordan (both manufactured by MarkAudio). Ted then moved on to an all-out assault on refining and improving the 100mm cone driver, resulting in the Eikona 1 and then, with a few more refinements, the Eikona 2. Although it doesn't have the HF reach of JXR6, we all preferred the Eikona and ceased development of the 50mm design. We have customers who are using it in the FAST concept, with a powered bass system.

Although ostensibly based on Ted's 1990s designs, the EAD models went their own way and were not approved by him.

Incidentally, the JXR6 problems can sometimes be sorted by rotating the driver on the baffle through 180 degrees and remounting. The problem is that the ferrofluid makes a good damping element, over time it allows the cone to drift off-centre.
Old 9th April 2018, 11:39 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
The JXR6HD and short-lived JX62 were the last of the smaller drivers produced by Jordan (both manufactured by MarkAudio). Ted then moved on to an all-out assault on refining and improving the 100mm cone driver, resulting in the Eikona 1 and then, with a few more refinements, the Eikona 2. Although it doesn't have the HF reach of JXR6, we all preferred the Eikona and ceased development of the 50mm design. We have customers who are using it in the FAST concept, with a powered bass system.

Although ostensibly based on Ted's 1990s designs, the EAD models went their own way and were not approved by him.

Incidentally, the JXR6 problems can sometimes be sorted by rotating the driver on the baffle through 180 degrees and remounting. The problem is that the ferrofluid makes a good damping element, over time it allows the cone to drift off-centre.
Thanks. Maybe I'll put them on a rotation schedule, at the start of each month. I like them better by far than some 4" whizzer coned eBay paper drivers, and actually prefer them over my 12P and 12PW pairs.
Surprising to me, because I've preferred paper drivers for years. Sadly, I'm down to my last 3 pair of ancient NOS Peerless 16 ohm 2" alnico tweeters. Nobody makes 'em like those, anymore!
Old 12th April 2018, 05:07 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Since I'll be experimenting with some Class A 10 watt solid state amps, I wanted some more efficient drivers. A pair of Faital Pro 3Fe22 8 ohm Neodymium drivers is on the way. Hopeful they'll be an even better match to my dual 15" Celestions in their Onken boxes.
They are paper drivers, like the 15"ers, look to have a quite good off axis response, easy to mount, and are fairly inexpensive.
I've yet to be let down by pro drivers, but am curious prior to delivery. Has anyone tried these as dipole, minimal baffle?
Old 13th April 2018, 06:52 AM   #95
Russell Dawkins is offline Russell Dawkins  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
Since I'll be experimenting with some Class A 10 watt solid state amps, I wanted some more efficient drivers. A pair of Faital Pro 3Fe22 8 ohm Neodymium drivers is on the way. Hopeful they'll be an even better match to my dual 15" Celestions in their Onken boxes.
They are paper drivers, like the 15"ers, look to have a quite good off axis response, easy to mount, and are fairly inexpensive.
I've yet to be let down by pro drivers, but am curious prior to delivery. Has anyone tried these as dipole, minimal baffle?
I'm curiousódid you consider the 4Fe32 8Ω version? If so, why did you go with the 3" driver?
Old 13th April 2018, 02:46 PM   #96
tigerdog is offline tigerdog
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post
Tigerdog, did you manage to contact EAD for your Sweden trip?
I did not speak with them. I did walk by their listed street address and found nothing but an apartment building with shops (not audio shops) on the ground floor. Leads me to believe they are a very small outfit indeed.
Old 13th April 2018, 05:52 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I'm curiousódid you consider the 4Fe32 8Ω version? If so, why did you go with the 3" driver?

I already have some 4" full range drivers, and hope a 3" will have better off axis dispersion.
I may have wasted my money on the pair anyways. I was ready to dust off and sell my Bohlender Neo 3, 8, and 10 pairs, but the 10s are wonderful just sitting atop in their Meniscus Audio flushmount frames.
I only notice the missing top octave if I'm pretty much directly in a tweeter's line of fire.
10,000 hz and up must be pretty beamy; I wonder how much of it we hear when not "locked in" to a critical listening window.
The Faitals will need to be very very good for me to part company with the dipole Neo 10s sound, from 800hz and up.

What is better than JXR6 HD - Current state of the art drivers for FASTHide this!Advertise here!