Open baffle cinder block stand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 8" driver in the picture is not a Betsy. It's a Midland Acoustic ceiling speaker that's no longer in production. I bought it at Parts Express for $9. It's great! If anyone has any info on this driver (maybe it's being manufactured by someone else?) let me know.

Regarding the Betsy - here's my take.

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/236/

Regarding the U-frame with 4 woofers I'm wondering if the height of the woofers in your setup is somehow loading the rear wall causing reflections?

The 8" driver in the picture is not a Betsy. It's a Midland Acoustic ceiling speaker that's no longer in production. I bought it at Parts Express for $9. It's great! If anyone has any info on this driver (maybe it's being manufactured by someone else?) let me know.

Regarding the Betsy - here's my take.

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/236/

Excellent! Thank you for that.

I love my Alpha 15s in H frames. They have supported a variety of speakers and baffles starting with the TB W4 1320s and now onto some lovely Mark Audio Alpair 12Ps which the H frames just keep up with. There is a collection of alternative baffles in the garage slowly gathering dust and occasionally being cannibalised. I use Tolvan's "The Edge" for modelling new baffles and lift the baffles up off the H frame with stands or feet. It's all good fun.

Last edited:
Sorry wrong way round

Each crossover needs to be calculated with the parameters of the individual speakers (particularly resistance) in mind, there are plenty sites which will calculate crossovers for you. I used MJKs worksheets which give a lot more information when planning these projects. Suffice to say I crossed the WIDE RANGER at 250Hz (C = 40mcF, L=5mH) and the BASS at 100Hz (C = 136mcF, L = 18 MH) look up a 2nd order crossover diagram for placement of the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I am aware that the cross over has to be calculated over the used drivers. But since the Alpha 15 is used the most, I was kind of hoping to find at least half of the cross over. :)

As for the fullranger, I have several at hands. But I am still looking for the one I realy like in ob.

Here's a simulation using XLBaffle of a Vifa PC9 on baffles:

12" x 12"
18" x 18"
24" x 38"

These are what I would consider the smallest and largest one might consider. I use 18" x 18" (plus or minus an inch or two depending how accurate the boards are cut at Home Depot). I sit my baffles on top of H-frames and love the sound. There's no 'gap' or 'dip' that's audible between the H-frame and the baffle. In fact, the subwoofer amp indicates a crossover of about 80Hz (volume is adjusted to taste - which is admittedly, a bit rich in bass). I did this because someone messaged me about it and I wanted to put the information out there for examination by others.

If anyone is curious, the Dayton PS95 and Fostex FF85WK (as well as most other 3" drivers) perform similarly as the response is more a reflection of baffle size than any other specification (Qts, Qms, etc.) in this application. Your favorite will be based on how a given driver performs above approximately 250Hz.

Pick your poison and enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 136
Not as good as the JBL Everest ($75,000 in rosewood, $5,000 less in birtch) I heard this past weekend but very good indeed once angled appropriately. The sibilance diminishes when angled up making the PS95 very listenable and even a bit soothing and polite. No tweeter necessary. Without angling the baffle this driver is too bright.

Next up is the Tangband 1808 which could use a bit of angling too.

Hearing the JBLs reinforced my feeling about 15" woofers. They reproduce bass beautifully.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 213
I believe the attached is your off axis measurement of the ps95. Horizontal or vertical both work but produce slightly different results in my room. Lately I've been aiming towards the ceiling which produces a more even overall sound in my apartment. I can adjust either way. Thanks for doing the measures. Without, I never would have had fun experimenting with this relatively inexpensive and worthy option. I like it and enjoy but will experiment with others just because I can. Happy New Year XRK!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 196
Thanks nicoch58! Absolutely, a different amp will change things. I'm just riding the digital wave for now. It's enjoyable, less expensive and sounds great. By supporting the technology I hope it will improve. As for my preference on the 8" vs 3" whizzer trade off all I can say is I enjoy both and can understand why one would prefer one over the other. Honestly, I never thought the 3" drivers would sound as good as the larger ones. They surprised me and I learned something in the process. I love 3" drivers on open baffle with bass support. I think they sound less splashy than the 8" drivers I own, more refined. I also learned adding a tweeter isn't always bad. But I will be switching over to 8" drivers (and a 6" Fostex 168s) in the coming months and looking forward to listening to some good music.

Spotify has an EQ now with a lever at 15kHz. I just slide it down about halfway and it removes the sibilance from the Dayton PS95. Everything else remains flat. I still keep it angled upwards. I've been listening all day without fatigue - working from home due to the snow in New York.

If you stream from Spotify and are contemplating the PS95 the EQ fixes its fatal flaw.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.