Audio Nirvana Classic 12 and Classic 15: how new are these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think playing with the XO will be the easiest part, it can be done in the comfort of the listening chair. I fear instead it’s all the sawdust and gluing that causes the work! deciding on bracing, building boxes for multiple drivers etc. If I hadn’t already bought the drivers I might think about not bothering! Well, my workshop is my driveway/garage and it’s going into winter mode very soon. I remember building the big box for the AN15 during warm weather, so much nicer to work in the sunshine, lots of light to see, keeps all the dust outside, good temperatures for gluing and varnishing or painting, you can feel your fingers in contrast to winter months!

Last edited:
Keep us posted as I think it would be very difficult to improve upon a super 15 in an open baffle or open back design.

Were it not for lobing issues, I would be using twin super 12s in my open back cabinet. I even thought about doing this and rolling off the lower driver with a simple air coil around 1 kHz.

Acquired 4 AN Ferrite Super 12s - What to build?

Yesterday, I purchased four used AN Ferrite Super 12s mounted on small open baffles. (was part of a HT setup) and just read through this informative thread.

I am trying to decide what to built. I was considering trying to run them 2 per channel with one running fullrange and one bass reinforcement only. Has anyone tried that?

These drivers have been sitting unused for over 5 years and the cone compliance seems higher that I would have expected. Do the doped driver surrounds on the ese drivers tend to stiffen up if unused?

My current preferred high-efficiency preference is a pair Altec 604e in bas reflex cabinets. I am curious to see how the ANs will compare.

As a curious idea I'd been floating around...since you have a pair per side, had you considered running one as a sealed enclosure, and the other as a BR?

It really wouldn't be that hard to build a single enclosure for the pair?

From the SIMs I've modeled for the AN 15" versions, the bass extensions will be substantial for the BR one...the degree of lobing should be acceptable from a vertical setup for the pair, well up to ear level in height ????

_________________________________________________Rick.........

big AN classic driver fan

According to the Wayback Machine, it appears they were announced sometime between 5-2 and 8-28-13:

In addition to our regular models, we are now introducing a revolutionary new speaker......the Audio Nirvana 'Classic Series'.

A fullrange speaker that uses no whizzer cone or phase plug and yet still reaches 20,000 hz.

A special proprietary design makes this possible.

GM
There is noooooooo way they reach 20k
having said that they are killer driver to 12k where many of us can hear 👂

Frankly, I believe frequency response measurements are in general flawed especially treble.

In general treble are at significantly lower in level than mids & bass, maybe -20db. For a AN which are super high efficiency, 100mW -1W is already 90+ db. That means at -20 db, the power is only 1mW. Of course nobody publishes a 1mW frequency response curve.

Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.