Audio Nirvana Classic 12 and Classic 15: how new are these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
My AN15 is in kind of OB, really an open backed cabinet like a guitar amplifier :eek:

But it sounds very good. I think the 15" driver is somewhat special.

Well you could always try a 3inch fullrange driver and a 18 inch O.B.? That's unique and kind of special ? Just a thought? Maybe I can help you kick start your next project? Looking to build something for my daughter? That's my starting project now. Jeff

I also use various few watts tube amps from 6s45p single stage, to dc coupled 45, 2a3 etc.
I found nirvana to much critical to components compared to other fullrangers.
If you have any electrolytic cap in your amp AN always let you know about it :)

I have used not just tube amp but also SS amp and the sound is just as good. Actually, my low power tube amp is in truth, not that good and I actually prefer the sound with my SS amp. I have tried the JLH Class A amp, but I find my TGM7 amplifier is better - it is a high feedback symmetrical amp, 50V rails. It's very clean, no capacitors in the direct signal path so the AN15 can not find anything to complain about :cool:

Well you could always try a 3inch fullrange driver and a 18 inch O.B.?

I don't know any 3" full range with sufficient sensitivity for a tube amp. Maybe I should give up on the tube amp, but it would be a pity. A driver that I am considering is really a mid-range, it's 5" and has high sensitivity, the PRV Audio 5MR450-NDY 5" recommended by XRK971. It runs up to 15kHz which is high enough for my ears but needs a good woofer to support it.

I have used not just tube amp but also SS amp and the sound is just as good. Actually, my low power tube amp is in truth, not that good and I actually prefer the sound with my SS amp. I have tried the JLH Class A amp, but I find my TGM7 amplifier is better - it is a high feedback symmetrical amp, 50V rails. It's very clean, no capacitors in the direct signal path so the AN15 can not find anything to complain about :cool:

I don't know any 3" full range with sufficient sensitivity for a tube amp. Maybe I should give up on the tube amp, but it would be a pity. A driver that I am considering is really a mid-range, it's 5" and has high sensitivity, the PRV Audio 5MR450-NDY 5" recommended by XRK971. It runs up to 15kHz which is high enough for my ears but needs a good woofer to support it.

You also can use some hybrid desing. Is better than most people think. I have success in making variations of Power Follower, other Ciufolli designs (Push Pull, including the "Circlotron"), and some Patrick Turner hybrids, like one with feedback from output to tube screen grid; very good sounding amp with 2H dominant and at non-intrusive levels (not high like SE designs). For less power I also made some Ge designs, with ГТ806Б.
And no shame here, sometimes SS or tubes+SS win :) .
Or use PP designs. I have a PL509 design, with great results.
More freedom to chossing speakers :cool: .

I also fancied making that Patrick Turner hybrid, I have a Type 47 tetrode for the purpose. Anyhow, the thing is, I have a nice JJ 2A3, with Sowter OPT and other bits all waiting for me to build a 2A3 dc-coupled amplifier. I've been holding on to the parts for a few years and would like to build it as a purist amp. That means low power.

You have built a lot of interesting amps !

I can imagine excellent results both for 2A3 + HiEff speakers and the tempting DHP (the 47) + original LatMOS (Lateral MOSFETs) concept!

A remark for multi-way users: this Pat Turner "screen-grid" method results in high damping factor so is good for speakers with difficult crossovers. I've measured almost 110 in damping factor re. 8R (aka ri=~0R073). Good for a relative low feedback concept.

Last edited:
Audio Nirvana 12 Classic

I bought a pair of theses for my 300B tubes amps and I can only say ''Excellent'' almost amazing. I try them with my vintage Adcom system and it's still a hit. I really like the purity of the sound without a devil crossover.

Attachments

• 004-1.jpg
    004-1.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 663
  • 001-1.jpg
    001-1.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 675
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.