What would larger woofer caps do here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old pair of Klipsch Fortes 2's I'm refreshing. For now I'm just replacing the electrolytic cap in the woofer circuit, its 24 years old after all. Its a 12db slope with a 2.75mh coil and 110uf 10% capacitor. 4ohm woofer I believe.

Here's my question: After I pulled the caps out I put them on my meter...one read 124uf and the other 130uf. I realize its not earth shattering, but what would have been the effect of having these drifting, larger values on the woofer instead of the expected 110uf?

(prob should have put this in the multi-way forum...but I can't delete it)

Attachments

• forte2.jpg
    forte2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It won't be a big thing. If you want upgrades, a low DCR air-core inductor (14 awg) on the tweeter circuit, and better, possibly charge-coupled caps there, would probably be your best bets. If you want to get more in-depth, Bob Crites, I believe, has tweaked some of the classic Klipsch XOs to good effect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.