Am I late to the party? frugal horn, Woden Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's only 8 am here. Dave may not have had his first coffee yet. Be patient.

jeff

yes, rather the night owl our friend - and I wouldn't be surprised if he manages more than 5hrs sleep a night - plus the several short "lucid" waking naps throughout the day.

As for "helpful advice" - careful what you wish for, but there are a few questions with which I always like to start, not in any particular order:
- room size (exactly how large an area)
- any domestic acceptance factor considerations? - some of the monoliths are 6ft tall, and require at least 4ft of floor space when allowing for rear mouth output
- amplifier type/ power? with low power SETS, class A or T SS, choice of drivers with sufficient sensitivity and requisite enclosure size can be limited

To Dave,
I was looking at the spawn family with the double mouth design. I was thinking front facing mouth? I am definitely inviting suggestion as my knowledge is lacking. What caught my attention was Terry Cains comments about the double BEN, how they can stretch the sweet spot and their sound characteristics.
Chrisb and Dave,
room size is the issue. it is technically outside. it is three sides with the fourth opening out into a pool. The length is 35'. Width of front wall is 25' . Rear wall is 12' . Completely covered. amplifier will be class A tube 25 watts per channel. I will need something not as hyper sensitive to placement. I know absolutely nothing about building speakers but I have 20 yrs of carpentry experience so I feel confident of being able to build following plans. As long as I keep my system out back I can build pretty much what I want without getting heavy Resistance from wife.
Mike

Sounds like the Haruna FE166E might be the ticket? At 72" H x 10.5" W x 18.5" D, still not a tiny enclosure, and we would highly recommend quality Baltic Birch plywood or equivalent for sonic and ergonomic reasons - as best as I can recall, the most part of 3 full sheets of material in a pair of these .

166 actually - IIRC, the only of the 206 family I heard was actually one of the ESR models of a fair while back, in one of the Fostex's upright freezer sized BLH enclosures. It had no trouble filling a moderate sized room with only 3/4 watt of 45 "Triode-cream", but definitely needed some help in the top couple of octaves.

IOW, I think the 166 would be a better bet if you didn't want the expense of a tweeter.

Yes, it's easy enough to suffer from analysis paralysis, without "helpful advice" from us here - I did warn you ;) -:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.