Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CHBW Mark Audio Build
CHBW Mark Audio Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2015, 12:32 PM   #1
djverne is offline djverne  United States
diyAudio Member

Default CHBW Mark Audio Build

Well recently I just finished up a CHBW build using a Modified Golden Ratio design. I am very pleased with the result. While the CHBW does have it's limitations, i found that this particular build is really enjoyable.

The best way I could describe the sound is warm, fast, and forgiving....a perfect match for my musical tastes (minimal techno and ambient chill music).
I love how percussion sounds on a speaker with no cross over. For me a $35 driver/ still better than most of the best crossovers I have heard on very expensive drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150822_10_46_26_Pro.jpg (472.6 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150822_10_47_43_Pro.jpg (493.4 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150822_10_41_29_Pro.jpg (534.7 KB, 267 views)
Old 25th August 2015, 04:32 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

considering that these drivers were designed as budget wide-band mid-woofers, that's great - I'm using a pair of them per side in an MTM arrangement and quite like them

tasty work on the veneering
Old 26th August 2015, 11:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Chris
What tweeter do you have them crossed over with in your MTM design? I have entertained the idea of maybe putting these in a line array to see how they sound. This driver doesn't do so great with really complicated passages at higher volumes. Vocals were a bit muffled at first but I did notice a huge improvement when I used a higher end DAC....big big improvement.
Old 26th August 2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

They look great. Simple is better IMHO.
Old 26th August 2015, 04:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

djverne- actually it was from the following kit Creative Sound - Product Details
which included a now discontinued soft dome tweeter ERT26, as well as a crossover designed by Dave Rosgaard. Bob may still have some of them, or factory seconds of the LD22C available Creative Sound - Product Details

Just to be different, my build wasn't a straightforward front firing MTM, but a version of the Planet10 Microtower - a short MLTL, with one of the CHBWs and the tweeter mounted on a 10dg angled top. Putting the tweeter there might not yield the most efficient dispersion, but this pair is used mostly for background / ambient listening.

I quite like this design, and if / when I build another pair with different drivers, I might put a tweeter in yet another location.
Old 27th August 2015, 05:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well price wise that kit looks a little tempting. What is the crossover frequency?
Old 27th August 2015, 05:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I honestly can't remember - maybe Bob or DaveR (on these forums) could advise

CHBW Mark Audio BuildHide this!Advertise here!