Recommend me a Full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone recommend me a pair of drivers please. I recently had the markaudio chr7.3s and really enjoyed them. I have a budget of £200. I listen to a lot of different music but mainly acoustic and not at high volume. They will be partnered with a chipamp lm3886 and marantz cd63. Im after somthing that will work in bookshelf size.
Thanks.

While I've not heard them, there's lotta love these days for the Dayton PS180 and 220, and the SEAS that Kastanza mentioned are quite nice.

If you liked the CHR70.3, I think you should consider the Alpair7.3 or 10.3 metals.

For optimal performance any of the FR drivers larger than the 3-4" class might want an enclosure in at least the 12-15 liter range, so what do you consider acceptable "bookshelf" size?

The 10.3 works well in this one: - http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/CGR-MarKen103p-plan-040414.pdf roughly 11 1/4" W x 17 1/2" H x 7 1/4" D (using nominal 18mm plywood)

The only Tang Band FR that I've heard recently - W4-1879, and W8-1772 also have fans, but are among their models with Neo Magnet arrays - a needless expense that benefits nothing sonically AFAIC (ducking for cover from the cognoscente, but I stand by my opinion) - I'm sure they'd sound just as good with far cheaper ceramic magnets.

Then there's a couple of models in the Fostex FF series - the 85 is silly good, but definitely needs supporting woofer(s) to deliver serious performance, but the next 3 models are quite capable of standing on their own, if you like their particular flavor.

edit; yes, I'd forgotten about the TB W5-1611 - "dark and a bit cloudy" in the top couple of octaves would be my characterization

and we need to keep in mind that international distribution chains, shipping costs, exchange rates, duty, brokerage, locally assessed VAT, etc can play bloody havoc with budget -they can often double the final landed costs of lower priced items.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys. The size isnt really an issue its just that i used the chr's with frugel horns and the foot print was massive. The room is small 5x3 meters. The alpair 7s were on my list as were some fostex models but i wanted to see what else was on the market. Would i here much difference between the chr7.3 to the alpair 7? Plus is there more to give from the amp?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Look in the following Subjective Blind test threads. Plenty of full range drivers to choose from. Have a listen and make up your own mind.

Choices include some of drivers mentioned above, but also include a wide variety of others and price ranges.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...nd-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ind-comparison-3in-5in-drivers-round-2-a.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-3-a.html

From the above list you should be able to find something you like. The winner from round 1 was the TC9FD. Round 2 was 10F/8424. Round 3 is pending.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Look in the following Subjective Blind test threads. Plenty of full range drivers to choose from. Have a listen and make up your own mind.

Limited by a significant amount of stuff convolved with the output of the speaker. And not a FR test, only as mid-tweeters.

You might be able to use it to eliminate the worst, but not anything like an in-person comparison, and certainly not to be used tomake a 1st choice.

From the above list you should be able to find something you like. The winner from round 1 was the TC9FD. Round 2 was 10F/8424. Round 3 is pending.

And someone just posted in the last thread about how statistically insignificant differences in the results are.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Limited by a significant amount of stuff convolved with the output of the speaker. And not a FR test, only as mid-tweeters.

You might be able to use it to eliminate the worst, but not anything like an in-person comparison, and certainly not to be used tomake a 1st choice.

And someone just posted in the last thread about how statistically insignificant differences in the results are.

dave

You hear what you want to I guess. What that post said was that the 2 winners and one loser *are* statistically significant. The ones in between did not have enough standard deviation from a random guess of the median.

Here is what that post says:
In the first test only one value fell outside of a standard deviation from the mean expected value (speaker b with 25 votes). In the second test, two speakers fell outside of a standard deviation from the mean expected value (speaker e with 13 votes and speaker h with zero votes). These three results are probably significant (very statistical phrase, that). Most of the rest of the vote results in the two tests are really too close to the expected mean value to be of use with such a small sample size.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The voice or sonic characteristics of a full range are predominantly in the mids and highs. The bass is all about the driver and its interacting with a well designed enclosure. Some drivers don't make as much bass as others I would agree the A7.3 is one of the better at making bass. However the sound of a driver and whether or not you can stand its signature is all above 225Hz (where the XO of the test was). If something has a 10dB peak at 7kHz, in any cabinet full range or not - is not something I could live with for more than 10minutes. Despite all your criticisms of the "convolved" signal train, the results are still more telling than opinions and anecdotes.

My opinion of the TC9FD, in the cabinet I was using, was that it could not get down over an octave to give the bass I know the Tabaq is capable of. Nice speaker otherwise.

I have CHR 70.2's in a mltI and and would imagine that an AIpair 7.3 would be an excellent choice.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My opinion of the TC9FD, in the cabinet I was using, was that it could not get down over an octave to give the bass I know the Tabaq is capable of. Nice speaker otherwise.

I have CHR 70.2's in a mltI and and would imagine that an AIpair 7.3 would be an excellent choice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The TC9FD's higher Qts should hit 55Hz in a properly designed MLTL for the TC9FD. If you stick it in a Tabaq designed for a mid Qts driver, it's not going to be ideal. 55Hz is a lot to ask of any 3.5in driver but at lower SPL's it is capable of doing it. A TC9FD in a DCR gets 55Hz at about 80dB with fairly low distortion below 2%.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I know what the post said… it shows how weak the results are when one is comparing the performances of the highly convolved presentation of these drivers used as mid-tweeters.

And therefore, the opinion of one person who has heard the drivers is more valid? How about bias that arises out of having a commercial interest?

Yes, the tests are not ideal, but a lot of useful information can be gleaned from them.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And therefore, the opinion of one person who has heard the drivers is more valid? How about bias that arises out of having a commercial interest?

I have probably listened to more stuff than many… but not as many as some others. That is called experience. I try hard to keep my commercial interests out of discussions (unless specifically asked) and certainly my comments wrt XRK's SBT have nothing to do with commercial anything. What you hear in the tests are only partly the drivers uder test. That is not a bias, it is a fact.

Yes, the tests are not ideal, but a lot of useful information can be gleaned from them.

I did not say that was not the case, but some are using the results for far more.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.