Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flat Wall Mount Stereo MLTL using TC9FD's (2)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2018, 04:11 PM   #41
pgibby is offline pgibby
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I have not even heard about the new PC83? Will check it out.
I'm willing to be the first to try. I have a umik-1 and all that.

Great job on your design...I was very pleasantly surprised. I was about to do a diy soundbar...but these are a lot easier and a nice solution.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:22 PM   #42
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I’m glad the flat wall speaker worked out. This was my first DIY project that had a good sound and got me hooked into DIYA.
Old 12th January 2018, 02:09 AM   #43
pgibby is offline pgibby
diyAudio Member

I plopped in a pair of Dayton PS-95s in my foam set. I like the TC9s a lot more. The PS-95s need some EQ to tame the top end, and even with some EQ, they sounded more "grainy". They may have had a bit more detail and more punch, but the TC9s are so smooth...they simply don't do anything offensive.
Old 15th January 2018, 01:45 AM   #44
pgibby is offline pgibby
diyAudio Member

After a couple days of break in, the ps95s got a lot better. They still don't have that naturalness that the Vifa has.

I built a set out of .5" MDF this past weekend, and even better. I'll take some measurements and post them here in the next day or two.
Old 11th February 2018, 02:46 PM   #45
SWENKO is offline SWENKO
diyAudio Member

I find this type of speaker interesting but found a another speaker that could work.
Anyone that could simulate or just know if faital pro 4fe35 could work in a similar box?
Old 11th February 2018, 03:26 PM   #46
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The 4FE35 is s bigger class driver and dimensions need to be simulated. Do you have them already? 3FE25 could be dropped in and work fine.
Old 11th February 2018, 05:29 PM   #47
SWENKO is offline SWENKO
diyAudio Member

Oh forgot about that. Dont have them i am just looking for an alternative whith maybe a tad higher output. Will look at the correct size speaker
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:46 PM   #48
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi X!

I got a question at work if I could have a speaker workshop (~4 hours) to show people what speaker building is and I'm contemplating if it's possible to let people build a set of wall mount TC9 MLTLs in that timeframe.

If the result is supposed to be something that the participants can use in their offices the speakers need to be compact and be able to both be wall mounted as well as stand on a table (against a wall).

Using foam core is a must and I'm thinking that a front/back that is a whole sheet speeds up the process considerably. The available sizes here are 420*297 mm (A3), 500x350 mm and 594x420 mm (A2). We have decent A3-printers and I'm thinking that if the front is A3 format we can let people print whatever they want and glue on.

I'm guessing you've used 5 mm thick foam core and that measurements are external. From your sketch I get a CSA of 92 cm^2 and the lengths 31 cm and 50-60 cm (difficult to measure due to geometry). The CSA of the port is 14 cm^2 and length 6.2 cm. If I input these into hornresp I get this response (for L23 = 50 cm, and a total of 10 g of polyfill to section 1 and 2)
xrk_mltl_L23_50_poly.png

If I just reduce the outer dimensions to an A3-paper size (420x297 mm), increase inner depth to 6.5 cm and increase the length of the port to 9.5 cm I get an near identical result. Only difference as far as I can see is that maximum output before xmax reduces 1 dB.

Could you run these in your akabak-model?

My sketch looks like this:
sketch.png

/Anton
Old 11th May 2018, 08:30 PM   #49
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onni View Post
Hi X!

I got a question at work if I could have a speaker workshop (~4 hours) to show people what speaker building is and I'm contemplating if it's possible to let people build a set of wall mount TC9 MLTLs in that timeframe.

If the result is supposed to be something that the participants can use in their offices the speakers need to be compact and be able to both be wall mounted as well as stand on a table (against a wall).

Using foam core is a must and I'm thinking that a front/back that is a whole sheet speeds up the process considerably. The available sizes here are 420*297 mm (A3), 500x350 mm and 594x420 mm (A2). We have decent A3-printers and I'm thinking that if the front is A3 format we can let people print whatever they want and glue on.

I'm guessing you've used 5 mm thick foam core and that measurements are external. From your sketch I get a CSA of 92 cm^2 and the lengths 31 cm and 50-60 cm (difficult to measure due to geometry). The CSA of the port is 14 cm^2 and length 6.2 cm. If I input these into hornresp I get this response (for L23 = 50 cm, and a total of 10 g of polyfill to section 1 and 2)
Attachment 670469

If I just reduce the outer dimensions to an A3-paper size (420x297 mm), increase inner depth to 6.5 cm and increase the length of the port to 9.5 cm I get an near identical result. Only difference as far as I can see is that maximum output before xmax reduces 1 dB.

Could you run these in your akabak-model?

My sketch looks like this:
Attachment 670468

/Anton
Well, I made a pair and didn't like the low tuning that caused all output below 100 Hz to be 10 dB below rest. Measured standing against a wall, on axis.
TC9 MLTL orig, 1 m, 0 deg.jpg

So I opened it up and cut off 4 cm of the port and got this result. Here measured laying on floor (middle of 20 m^2 room) on axis, 1 m distance:
TC9 MLTL mod, 1 m, 0-45 deg.jpg
Those are some nice polars for a 3.5" driver, looks almost like a tweeter with a small waveguide

The dip in the 200-500 Hz area reduces if I move the speaker slightly, so it's likely caused by reflections:
TC9 MLTL mod, 1 m, 0 deg, moved.jpg

No gating in measurements.

Here is distortion at ~71 dB:
TC9 MLTL mod, 1 m, 0 deg, dist.jpg
Sweep sounds clean at these levels.

And at ~91 dB:
TC9 MLTL mod, 1 m, 0 deg, dist high.jpg
Audible distortion (rattle) below ~150 Hz. But -50 dB above 500 Hz at 91 dB is respectable.

Lastly, a few build pics:
20180329_232237.jpg

20180329_232453.jpg

20180329_232630.jpg

20180330_000157.jpg

Nice speakers, appreciated by my family when I brought them on a skiing trip.

/Anton
Old 11th May 2018, 11:14 PM   #50
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Nice work Onni! That new port trim you did looks much better. Those are indeed nice polars.

Flat Wall Mount Stereo MLTL using TC9FD's (2)Hide this!Advertise here!