EVA foam for performance speaker enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not a huge concern, but I am interested in possible multi-way builds and there appears to be multiple grades of EVA quality. The gym/yoga mats seem to be 2lb/ft3, equivalent to 38kg/m3, which I believe Jeshi mentioned as less preferable. However I was mistaken about Minicell, which is Crosslinked Polyethylene (XPE), not EVA and therefore not as easy to use.

Mini cell is very easy to use.
It can be cut easily, and sanded to the shape needed.

When I was younger, we'd shape mini cell pads and seats to personally fit canoes and kayak seats.

We would use 3M spray on glue.

Is corrugated plastic any good for speaker enclosures?
It is like cardboard only made of plastic of some type.
Used for hoardings and such. Not that expensive either and quite stiff, easy to layer and glue too I imagine.
Not sure how easy to cut but probably no big deal to get straight edges. Just not sure if it is thick enough. Might need to sandwich a couple of bits together for each surface.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Luigi,
Is this what you mean - same as from what you posted in XKi thread? If so, it’s not what I would call corrugated but basket weave textured EVA - typical floor mat texture to provide non slip grip for walking or exercise like a yoga mat.

865166d1596331622-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-bandpass-20200802_132316-jpg

No. It looks just like cardboard (except it is white not brown) and is about half a cm thick but is made of some type of plastic. Will post a pic. I found some in a skip. Politicians use it for advertising purposes pre election cos it is waterproof. Quite stiff should work for enclosure.

And that didn't last long, at least with the EVA. Too tricky to work with for a rank amateur. So I've gone to 10mm foamboard. Would rather have done it in black, but never mind, white it is.

This is for the 0.53 Karlsonator and the W5-2143 Tang Band full ranger.

Im wondering whether the 10mm board is too much, whether I can get away with 5mm board. The only reservation I have is that the TB driver is quite heavy. Was intending to use a 5mm section of hardboard in behind it anyway.

I'd imagine the 5mm foamboard is vastly easier to work with. The 10mm stuff takes a bit of cutting, especially compared with EVA.

With the internal baffle, should I cut out the pieces individually or can I just score one side of the paper and bend the foamboard around minor corners (like between the baffle and the section leading up to the top of the internal divider. Also on the other side of the line for the smaller 40mm odd piece at the bottom. The fewer cuts Im thinking, the less chance of air leaks.

Okay, thanks for that.
I am soooo slow at this. Seems like it takes forever, but I guess you get a bit slick at it after a while.
I imagine getting the right cutting device makes a big difference.

By the by, I don't suppose you have you done any Karsonator sims for Visaton B100 or Faital Pro 4FE32 8 ohm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.