Very tall and slim baffle for single driver - will it work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i have played with thorsten loesch XLbaffle.xls and the program shows good results down to 60hz with a very tall and slim baffle (would like to avoid the flaps) 120" tall, 20" wide, and driver at only 32" height for better bass response. Will need to tilt the baffle 10 degrees to compensate for ear level.

Can i trust the program? I would like to have the slim baffle for the looks and probably for imaging, but my common sense tells me that it would not work.

i will use mdf sheets or do i need a sandwich design?

see the graph and the driver details in the attachment

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 11.49.26.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 11.49.26.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 319
I have just tried a 134" high baffle with 1" width - the difference in bass response compared to 50" width is only 2db less bass @ 60Hz in the simulation... is that possible? acoustics? / physics?

has anyone tried a floor to ceiling baffle before?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 13.59.59.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 13.59.59.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 223
Not with a single driver (lol)

Is it a single baffle, no box? I'd use a stiff material, a constrained layer sandwich. Something that tall is bound to resonate.
Then again you could use something less stiff to get it's resonance frequency as low as possible...
Experiment! Do both and pick the winner...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.