Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

paper cone open frame driver for front horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2018, 09:50 PM   #41
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
I sent them photos of the packaging and damage, hoping to get a refund for that item. They refunded me for the ENTIRE order.
Wow, that is some damn fine customer service!
Old 1st May 2018, 12:56 AM   #42
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

I spoke too soon. A fresh email came in:
"Unfortunately, we refunded your full payment in error"

They are winding it back from ridiculous to merely generous
Old 1st May 2018, 01:10 AM   #43
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

what kind of dynamics can one get from those 2" cone on a horn? - -I have a couple of 2" entry Klipsch exponential horns which are pretty darn big. (think were meant for 4-K55 on a manifold -?)

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 1st May 2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 1st May 2018, 02:01 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
what kind of dynamics can one get from those 2" cone on a horn? - -I have a couple of 2" entry Klipsch exponential horns which are pretty darn big. (think were meant for 4-K55 on a manifold -?)
You tend to thrash your pro gear pretty hard, so probably not dynamic enough for you

Just anecdotally: with my test rig - one channel, in a large workspace - I do occasionally want to crank it louder. For most home users (closer listening distance, using 2 channels), the same amp would play >10dB louder than I'm getting, which should be plenty.

I should get some actual numbers. Next time I'm in the workspace, I'll try to measure how much power I'm giving them, and do a comparison of the tiny driver vs the JBL 2445 (which is fairly close to being the loudest thing you could attach to a 2" throat) on the same horn, same amp settings, etc, to get an indication of their relative efficiencies.

I've got an SPL meter, but haven't used it in years or calibrated REW against it. My tests are just comparative.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:56 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Next time I'm in the workspace, I'll [...] do a comparison of the tiny driver vs the JBL 2445 (which is fairly close to being the loudest thing you could attach to a 2" throat) on the same horn, same amp settings, etc, to get an indication of their relative efficiencies.
I did this, attached.

As a narrow band device (1 to 5kHz) the JBL is about 10dB louder, so 15dB more sensitive (16ohm vs 4ohm).

If you applied subtractive eq to make the JBL flat 500Hz-10kHz, it would be only 5dB louder, or 10dB more sensitive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tymp vs JBL zoomed 48.jpg (98.3 KB, 375 views)
Old 11th May 2018, 03:01 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
it would be only 5dB louder, or 10dB more sensitive.
I think I mixed up the terms, should have said 5dB more sensitive (louder), 10dB more efficient.

paper cone open frame driver for front hornHide this!Advertise here!