paper cone open frame driver for front horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what kind of dynamics can one get from those 2" cone on a horn? - -I have a couple of 2" entry Klipsch exponential horns which are pretty darn big. (think were meant for 4-K55 on a manifold -?)

dVTWkhq.jpg

Last edited:
what kind of dynamics can one get from those 2" cone on a horn? - -I have a couple of 2" entry Klipsch exponential horns which are pretty darn big. (think were meant for 4-K55 on a manifold -?)

You tend to thrash your pro gear pretty hard, so probably not dynamic enough for you :)

Just anecdotally: with my test rig - one channel, in a large workspace - I do occasionally want to crank it louder. For most home users (closer listening distance, using 2 channels), the same amp would play >10dB louder than I'm getting, which should be plenty.

I should get some actual numbers. Next time I'm in the workspace, I'll try to measure how much power I'm giving them, and do a comparison of the tiny driver vs the JBL 2445 (which is fairly close to being the loudest thing you could attach to a 2" throat) on the same horn, same amp settings, etc, to get an indication of their relative efficiencies.

I've got an SPL meter, but haven't used it in years or calibrated REW against it. My tests are just comparative.

Next time I'm in the workspace, I'll [...] do a comparison of the tiny driver vs the JBL 2445 (which is fairly close to being the loudest thing you could attach to a 2" throat) on the same horn, same amp settings, etc, to get an indication of their relative efficiencies.

I did this, attached.

As a narrow band device (1 to 5kHz) the JBL is about 10dB louder, so 15dB more sensitive (16ohm vs 4ohm).

If you applied subtractive eq to make the JBL flat 500Hz-10kHz, it would be only 5dB louder, or 10dB more sensitive.

Attachments

• Tymp vs JBL zoomed 48.jpg
    Tymp vs JBL zoomed 48.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 890
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.