Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers

Michael Chua was pretty high on Dayton PC83-8 so I built these. Not wanting to spend a lot, I used green siding board for everything but the front baffle. Front baffle is a scrap of birch ply I had laying around. Used a little Duratex to dress them up. They sound great, great bass, not harsh on the highs! Glad I took the plunge. Thanks to Planet 10 and Scott Lindgren for a great design

IMG_0969.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
TubaV

I had exactly that driver (PC83-8) on an open baffle (1m tall 20cm wide, driver placed at 85cm from the floor solid pine timber 22mm thick) about 60cm from the back wall. No carpet in front of the speakers and the listening sweet spot. Wooden floor. Not very excited about the performance of the driver except from the sound stage presentation. Suddenly two days ago I replaced the Dayton driver with the Peerless TG9FD-10-08. It was apocalypses even with 0 hours (yes zero) break-in period. I'll report after a month (I have enough patience :cool:)
Of course not abyss deep bass but I don't demand that from a 36cm 2 driver
https://loudspeakerdatabase.com/Peerless/TG9FD10-08

Elias

Last edited:
Hi planet10/Dave, would you have a dxf file of the FHL with Alpair 5.3 cutout that I can give to a local CNC shop for a quote? Or any FHL dxf file and I can modify the driver cutout. Just don't trust myself 100% to be able to draw those curved sides. No prob with DIYaudio donation, just let me know what I need to do. (or if you have a flat pack laying around, let me know...)

That's perfect, thanks very much. I've been away from the hobby for a long time, and about a year ago put my Lotus speakers and small valve amps back into service. But the bug has bitten and I have a "need" for a 2nd set of smaller speakers...it's a very good need :)
One good thing about such a long break is seeing all these new wonderful designs, thanks so much to you, Scott and Chris.

Hi planet10/Dave, .....

At the time I drew the FHL but I did not manage to manufacture it, I have adapted the cutting hole for Alpair-5, here is the DXF with the exploded view for two units on a board (2500 x 1250 mm) of 12 mm thickness.

Roberto

Attachments

• Frugel horn litte.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2024-04-07 16_06_43-Autodesk Fusion.png
    2024-04-07 16_06_43-Autodesk Fusion.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2024-04-07 16_07_41-Autodesk Fusion.png
    2024-04-07 16_07_41-Autodesk Fusion.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Frugel horn litte DXF.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 14