Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2018, 05:12 PM   #201
Elias Zacharopoulos is offline Elias Zacharopoulos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default zman01 thank you very much

I posted my question about "dunideer" after reading that article (a few months ago).

Elias
Old 6th July 2018, 06:24 PM   #202
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Zacharopoulos View Post
"woden dunideer"
Dunideer and all the Frugal-Horns come from the same mind. The FH-Lite is a more recent design, and one of Scott’s greatest works (i say that in the sense of the familiy of Frugel-Horns)

The original Alpair 6 used in Dunideer will work in FH-Lite, whereas the new A6.2 may not be optimum for the Dunideer.

dave
Old 7th September 2018, 01:19 AM   #203
jwicaksana is offline jwicaksana  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Dear Dave and Chris, and other friends here,
Following a number of sound advice I've received, I am set on building an FHL for my bedroom. Carrying over another discussion from another thread, Chris suggested diagonal placement ala Decware which I promptly followed along with a range of 3-4" designs. I have a pair of TC9FD that are playing inside a pair of Mini-Karlsonators. So I decided to use it for my FHL. I've bought the 12mm ply and a friend agreed to help me do the flare.

In the photo attached, the mini-Ks are playing right about ear level when I sit. The 762mm height of the FHL is where I put the green tape on the stand. Anything I can do to project the sound higher up? I'm already thinking of a front outrigger that raised it without raising the back, as I understand the mouth needs floor reinforcement for bass?

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The room being almost exactly square doesn’t help matters, and by the time you tried to add enough bass treatment to mitigate, you’ll not have much of a listening area. I’d suggest smaller (3-4”) monopole full range driver system - no surprise there, I guess - less likely to excite lower frequency room modes, and a diagonal placement if at all feasible.
DECWARE - Article about Setting up a Listening Room without Treatments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8775.jpg (446.0 KB, 192 views)
Old 8th September 2018, 02:57 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Today's progress. Spent about 3 hours cutting them up. A friend helped me to figure out the curve and the angle on the sides. I followed the cut list on the pdf and managed to make a diffuser with the off-cut. The plywood is of poor quality, it's warped and full of void. I'm leaving them clamped to the table until next week.

P.S. Even with this quality of a wood, it's still preferable to MDF or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8783.jpg (943.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8794.jpg (713.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8786.jpg (380.9 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by jwicaksana; 8th September 2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 9th September 2018, 09:16 PM   #205
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

How thick is your ply? It does look gnarly.

dave
Old 10th September 2018, 12:24 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Dave, they are 12mm. FWIW the 15mm is the same four ply, only thicker. The 18mm is five ply. Same voids across the board (pun intended) ��
Old 12th September 2018, 10:49 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Dave, I have some questions related to the build:
- I have 7mm cotton felt damping material, should I double up to bring it close to the specified 12mm, or 7mm is okay?
- I am planning to chamfer the driver cutout. Looking at the material, is it better to use supra baffle?
- What is the recommended starting point for stuffing under the driver for use with TC9FD?
Thank you so much - so excited to finish this.
Old 13th September 2018, 08:34 PM   #208
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I’d double the felt thickness. An sB will not hurt. We have built all our FHL w sB. No rea; idea re the TG9, i’d start at half the recommended and play from there. The damping is also there for room, and room placement adjustment as well.

dave
Old 13th September 2018, 09:51 PM   #209
vitorio is offline vitorio  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwicaksana View Post
- What is the recommended starting point for stuffing under the driver for use with TC9FD?
My fhlite/TC9 has no stuffing below driver. The rest is as plans. To me they sounds well next to the back wall, good and clean bass.

Víctor
Old 17th September 2018, 08:38 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

@Dave: Well noted. Felt has been doubled up. I will look into making an SB.
@Vitorio: Thank you, your build was among the ones that inspired me, especially since I've had a TABAQ before, and your review is favorable for the FHL.

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" driversHide this!Advertise here!