10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Hi xrk and others,

There is one pretty forgotten driver in Dayton range: RS75 4 and 8 Ohm versions.

Did anyone tried it with this speaker? There is just one post I find on diyaudio.com
Aesthetically it looks like a small brother to big RS225 woofer, price is affordable, sound signature should be similar. Looks like built very well. The only negative thing i see from photos that could be a problem - big magnet which is pretty hard to fit to small cutouts.

Literally no info about that driver. What are your predictions?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, those will work great. Just adjust R1 and R2 to get the relative levels balanced. FF85wk is 86.5dB sensitive. This is very close to 10F/8424 so it might be a drop in. There may be some adjustment needed on the notch filter (R and C between terminals) but that requires a microphone and playing with a Xsim. Try it as is and it may work fine.

TubaV,

I put my ones on the scale - these are built with 3/4" ply.

The cabinet with the drivers installed weighed around 45 lbs. There might some inaccuracy due to the large size of the speaker cabinet and how well I managed to place it on my bathroom weighing scale; but with the drivers and XO weighing approx 7-8 lbs, it should be pretty close.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
From the first paragraph of Post #1:

The design ended up as a 24 liter volume for the woofer and a 1.1 liter 3-sided pyramid Dagger for the 10F/8424. The important external dimensions are: 10in wide baffle and 24 liter internal volume (sealed). You can make the height and depth to suit your individual case, but it will need to be deep enough to house the Dagger. The internal dimensions I settled on were 8in wide x 12in deep x 16in tall. The short sealed TL is made of three 6in wide x 12.5in long triangles. Construction will use 1in thick pink XPS foam and regular foam core for the short TL. The front baffle will also use a thin sub-floor plywood in order to provide adequate support for the heavy 8in driver.

And post 1424:
The cabinet is about 10in wide x 13.5in deep x 18.5in tall. This is my Baltic birch ply 3/4in thick.

The sealed box sounds excellent - was my main speaker for years until I made the TL. The sealed box goes down to 50Hz (-3dB) whereas the TL goes to 30Hz.

Last edited:
10f cone face.jpg

10f cone.jpg

10f plaque arrière.jpg

10f structure.JPG

hi, i've working on the loudspeaker this week-end and i hope everything is going well. I use 18mm mdf, glue the cone and prepare the place for the crossover and put the speakon connector. Bye!! and thanks again.

ttan98,

You are correct, the "orange funnel" (actually a sports cone) protects the wide-band (full-range) driver and acts as a separate cabinet for the driver. That way the woofer cannot inter-modulate the wide-band driver.

Also the tapering shape helps suck the driver back-wave, and the non-parallel surfaces reduce reflections coming back to the driver cone.

ttan98,

You are correct, the "orange funnel" (actually a sports cone) protects the wide-band (full-range) driver and acts as a separate cabinet for the driver. That way the woofer cannot inter-modulate the wide-band driver.

Also the tapering shape helps suck the driver back-wave, and the non-parallel surfaces reduce reflections coming back to the driver cone.

I suspect so thanks for a good explanation. The orange funnel is made from plastic does it need to have a certain dimension?

Attachments

• zman_RS225TL cone fixed to baffel inside.jpg
    zman_RS225TL cone fixed to baffel inside.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited: