10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

So, I've been experimenting with a MLTL version similar to the one in this thread, adapted to my driver, and I have been testing with a lot of drivers, mainly the B80, SB65, SB10, TC9 and even some ceramic and ribbon tweets.

Funnily enough, the one that meshed the best with the least amount of tinkering is the TC9. Plus, it sounded great, too.

So, if one wants to try X's design, but doesn't want to shell the big bucks for a 10F driver, the TC9 is a very clean and snappy driver alternative that would not disappoint. It performs way beyond its price point.

I really like my other drivers, and some perform better in certain circumstances, but in this design, it was just so easy to integrate the TC9 with the MLTL that it made it a no brainer.

The peaks at 70 and 210 are room nodes... didn't bother to move the enclosures so much, more interested in the meshing between the woofer and the TC9. Still need to tweak the XO, but came up with this within 15 min of tinkering, so can only get better with a little more time spent on it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.05.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.05.17 PM.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 552
Regarding build material, has anyone tried using 0.75" MDF as a backing material? Either for the main back on the sealed build, or the internal backer and the main backer for the TL version? Wondered if that had been thought of or whether it doesn't have an effect (I've seen it reference a couple of times on audio forums but wasn't sure, main reasoning is that the MDF deadens the reflections a little).

Additionally, would widening the buffer by 0.5/1" have a noticeable detriment to audio quality? What about a 3mm acrylic plastic laminate over 15mm B/BB for the front? (Realize both would detract from performance, but this is judging performance vs aesthetics to be allowed to put them in the main room lol)

I don't think there is a significant difference between type of panel used, even though some people will say otherwise. That said, sandwiching two different panel material will help dampen vibrations. To save cost, you could fix thicker MDF to a thin external noble wood panel. Personally, i would apply a layer of some sort of roofing material on the inside of whatever panel i choose. Also, an idea would be to put roofing material between two panels. Many things to try....

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think there have been MDF builds in this thread. An inch wider baffle might be ok, but I can’t guarantee the passive crossover will be as good anymore. Probably fine though. BB sandwich with latex caulking of green glue is good. The mass loaded butyl autosound sheets are are also very helpful. But the XPS faced with thin plywood is excellent. Super lightweight so easy to transport and performance is great with respect to panel vibrations.

I’ve been following this thread over the years, and I would like to thank everyone for making it so interesting and informative.

There is one thing, however, that I’m not able to get my head around. I’m hoping that someone can help out. Here is the issue:

If you look at the frequency response graph that the manufacturer publishes for the 10F, you will notice a steadily rising output from about 900 Hz. And yet the frequency response measurements in this thread show no such rise — the response stays more or less flat. I may have missed something, but I seem to recall that no equalisation has been applied in the implementations described here. If that is indeed the case, what is the mechanism by which the response of the driver is flattened? Just trying to understand the physics behind it all.

Attachments

• 10F FR.jpg
    10F FR.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 308
Understood. Thanks!
Here is some modeled visuals using datasheet curve and probably why it goes relative more flat, the three effects modeled are graphed and listed below plus their summing filter effect..

attachment.php

Static plot of datasheet curves with overlaid sum of filtered model..

attachment.php

Animation of the three filter effcts normalized in SPL to target curve..

attachment.php

Attachments

• NobodyAtAll_1a.png
    NobodyAtAll_1a.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 509
  • NobodyAtAll_1f.png
    NobodyAtAll_1f.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 502
  • NobodyAtAll_x1x1x1x1_1500mS.gif
    NobodyAtAll_x1x1x1x1_1500mS.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 498
Reactions: 1 user