Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 - What to do?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2019, 10:57 AM   #21
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

80db up close isn't too bad. Looking at you measurements did you find a 1000 hz dip like the factory graph? That might be a good spot for baffle step.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:35 PM   #22
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I don’t recall a 1k dip. But 1k is a good place for most open face speakers of circa 8in wide or less in baffle width.
Old 26th April 2019, 06:43 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Drivers arrived a couple days ago from madisound. I also ordered a couple of peerless tc6fc00 to compare them with since I like the sound of paper cones.

I have to say I have never seen a driver as immaculately put together as the sb65. The voice coil aligns perfectly in the magnet and every joint and glue seem is immaculate.

I duct taped one of each driver in a couple of sealed boxes for some listening tests. Initially I prefered the peerless since it sounded more natural. But as the drivers started to break in I found that I really like the sound of the sb65. After a few hours I was only listening to the sb65. The peerless tc6 sounded muffled and strained in comparison. The superior venting and motor of the sb65 makes a big difference.

I generally don't like metal cones but the sb65 doesn't sound shrill. The big poly dust cap damps the cone and gives it a more soft delicate type of sound. Not as organic as paper but not ringy either.

The highs are great, and I can barely tell that the dispersion narrows a bit. Also they go surprisingly low. I would say in the right box in a small room they could be run full range. They're definitely not like a subwoofer but you don't need that for music imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.jpg (798.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.jpg (313.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 27th April 2019, 01:12 AM   #24
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Cool. And they will improve even more with some more break in time.

The little SB65 is a gem.
Old 27th April 2019, 02:35 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I reattached the peerless driver to the baffle from behind so it could breathe better and the sound seemed to open up a bit. I might end up doing a fast with the peerless tc6 for the vintage paper top end and doing the sb65 by itself in a ported box. Full range the sb65 is definitely better. It definitely needs baffle steo though to sound right.

SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 - What to do?Hide this!Advertise here!