the cube fern & roby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thickness 15mm

wood box :
w*h*d : 228mm^3
volume : 213*198*198 = 8,35L

lower MDF box :
w*h*d : 213*50*213
volume : 183*35*183 = 1.17L

almost 9.5L

i've found these informations:

recommended cabinet 1:
closed cabinet with 3,3 L volume
from 104/66 Hz (-3dB/-8dB)

recommended cabinet 2:
13,3 L volume bass reflex cabinet
with HP50 reflex tube, 11 cm long.
from 47/41 Hz (-3dB/-8dB).

they reommand 13.3L, is 9.5L still ok ?

We designed the base to act as a podium for the speaker--it increases the interior volume of the enclosure as part of the design, producing richer sound.

are you sure ?

i know cube shape r the worst shapes that s why i add the stand building in MDF instead of aluminium, it will break the cube shape and add more room.

btw i hope they r not selling this one 1100$ the pair if it sounds bad lol.

any idea to help my project ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Reading the verbiage, they do say that the base is part of the enclosed volume, and imply that the inside of the box is not a cube so likely not as large as your back of the envelope calculation.

I do question the use of a solid milled piece of pine… that is likely a contender for failure with changes in weather, working with solid wood is an art, and these do not follow the conventions for keeping the wood from splitting. The only saving grace is that the wooditself is well-aged. That is not a guarantee… one of the locals, expert in working solid, built a number of speakers from solid Douglas Fir (a pine species) from a similar vintage rail trellis taking all the normal precautions to avoid splitting and still one of his builds failed.

The price is reasonable for a direct from the manufacturer, about the same as we charge for a plywood/veneered set of Frugel-Horn Mk3 with EnABLed A7.3, and less than we would charge for a trapezoidal or rectangular dMar-Ken7.3 in stranded bamboo plywood.

Put any of those into a retail store and expect to pay at least 4x as much.

There are many well established designs for the A7.3. The ones you point to play on being pretty and using recycled material. The design itself seems somewhat pedestrian, but they likely sound just fine.

dave

There's also a 2-way floorstander with SEAS drivers - conventional enough description of design, except perhaps for the wave guide

While the aesthetics of recycled construction posts / beams complete with nail/bolt holes etc isn't my favorite, I'd be curious about how long their structural integrity would be expected to survive, and how they'd handle warranty.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

…what I wouldn't give to have a pair of these in my proper living room (not back-rm/project shop)….

Once my right hand recovers from CTS, I plan on a pair of woofers for bi-amp….of course using inlayed-mezquite over plywood…a couple of 7 - 8" woofers/cab in a 2.5' high, 2cf sealed enclosure to be a stand for the many vented FR cabs in the stable…

…will explore the community's suggestions on woofers by late summer….

Mario

Indeed, perhaps they could elaborate, even include photos of whatever portion of the fabrication / assembly process they consider not proprietary.

But as I read it, the enclosures are milled (let's assume CNC of some sort?) from reclaimed sold beams. A couple of the photos of the floorstanders definitely indicate a laminated assembly of the shell.

This is somwhat reminiscent of the Boenicke production methods.

My personal taste aside, none of this should be taken as "expert opinion / criticism " of their approach - perhaps they have sufficient expertise to ensure durability of the fabrication, and any efforts to reclaim materials, including the shop smelted aluminum for bases should be applauded

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.