A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Steve

I would think your amps would play whatever sound you put into them.
As long as your computer is outputting it?

They do. The amps drive the speakers. The speakers sound fine.

Can you hear a difference in the sound while playing music?

I don't discern and difference with or without the EQ.

Where is the music connection to the amps?

Optical connection between my Mac Pro and the Master Hypex FA123. Music plays fine. I can also easily hear the REW sweep from which the software does its measurements.

All of the seems to work fine.

Do you have to turn on the EQ settings?

You upload the EQ settings from the Hypex software (running on a Windows laptop connected via USB to each plate amp in turn) in a way similar to how one uploads crossovers for multiway speakers.

In fact, the manual states that once uploaded the EQ setting take place immediately, nothing else to do.

Something strange at work. Or maybe I've missed something.

Andreas

Steve,

No problem.

Hypex amps come with (Windows) software the enables one to configure all of the amp's DSP (EQ, crossover, even DAC) settings (as well as a bunch of other things).

I connect a Window's laptop to each amp in turn via a USB cable.

Then I open the Hypex software press the EQ button on the main page to open the EQ window.

Within the EQ window one can set any of 9 EQ presets to anything one needs.

One then clicks the "Enabled" checkbox and presses the "Upload to DSP" button.

This last step uploads the settings to the amp's DSP.

From that point (even with the laptop and software disconnected, even when you turn the amps off and on again), the now uploaded EQ settings reside in the amp itself and should affect any signal sent to the amp and, in turn, the speaker(s).

Just very odd that it doesn't appear to affect the REW measurements.

Note, I only use the Windows laptop to configure the Hypex amps.

My desktop Mac Pro connects to the Hypex "Master" amp by a fiber optic cable. The Mac Pro holds all of my music files. I additionally connect my microphone to the MacPro and run REW on the Mac Pro.

-- Andreas

Last edited:
aagas.
It's probably something very simple.
My DEQ is just as complicated, and sometimes I accidentally altar something? Or its broken?
I then have to go through everything to find out what and where it has happened.
It's usually me accidentally touching a button that has caused it.
Steve.

Hello DML thread, this is my first post.

I've been lurking in several DML related groups and learning the basics. Bought a calibrated mic and getting started with some measurements.

What lead me to this was first watching the Tech Ingredients video (as with so many others), reading some deeper material in the forums, and then realising that I may have a perfect environment to create a great DML (+ maybe open baffle) setup.

So this first post is to get feedback about the potential of this space. The articles Ive read in the last few weeks suggests that it may be just the ticket. The space is a room about 8m long and 4m wide (haven't measured accurately), with a partition across the room at around 4.5 m, with two big rectangular windows. See photo. The thought is to mount some big DML panels in the windows (0.85m x 1.3m), and if that is successful, to look at using the lower part to house some open baffle drivers.

(Hoping the image link from google photos works)

AF1QipMdT3XCe_zLjUMhY5_i4jWSOzjTUjgPCOP034zS

Pixel1.
I'm still surprised that this patent hasn't been used(not that I know of?)
WO2019061685A1 - Full-frequency sounding structure of loudspeaker
- Google Patents

It is very similar to the painters art canvas we have used with good success on this site.
The choice is limited only by our imagination.
As long as the end result is the best possible sound,of course.
Steve.

I don't know about the patent, but I combined a 1/8"x8" disc with a 2x2' EPS board and it sounds good. The disc adds some much needed high end extension while the EPS adds "body". Def not full full range but very very nice in combo with a subwoofer. I'm busy these days but I hope to have them hung in my kitchen by mid May or so. Def still need a DSP as they have a huge ~2-6K honk that needs to be clipped and some much needed boost from maybe 10K and up.

aagas.

Girl From the North Country on DMLs.mp4 attached
Thanks for the recording.

I noticed a harsh sound to the voices in your recording which was quite painful if played loud.
I used a notch filter on my deq while playing on my system,to hunt it down and remove it,and discovered it at about the 2.8k area .
I presume it is probably coming from the exite area?
Or is it the recording?
Steve.

Hi Steve
Yes that's the idea, to secrete them in those windows, and cover with speaker cloth. Yes it's quite reflective I guess, drywall and wooden floors. The far side - the larger side - would be the listening area, and that has a sloped ceiling which I believe helps with reflections. I think I will use the whole window, and support for the panels will be either clamped or so called simply supported - in either case without gaps, which I have found gives gains in low frequencies. Then I had hoped to use the section underneath (with appropriate stiffening &damping) to house open baffles.

Paul

Hi Steve,

I noticed a harsh sound to the voices in your recording which was quite painful if played loud.
I used a notch filter on my deq while playing on my system,to hunt it down and remove it,and discovered it at about the 2.8k area .
I presume it is probably coming from the exite area?
Or is it the recording?
Steve.

Interesting. I think it might arise from my iPhone recording.
I can play the panels at very loud levels (no eq) without hearing a harsh sound.

That said, something does start happening on applying equalization.

After consulting with Hypex support, I upgraded the software and firmware for the FA123s.

Equalization now uploads and affects things.

I need to set everything up again and take baseline and equalized measurements one-by-one to see what fiddling will do.

Preliminarily (and without a new baseline) ...

Setting a biquad at 300 hz, Q1, +12 db improves the curve between 100 hz and 700 hz. On listening, I don't notice a lot of specific difference other than it just sounds more like it ought to sound. Subjectively, the rest of the panels sonic "integrity" remains intact.

Not so much the high shelf...

A high shelf at 10 khz, Q1, +12 db lifts the curve from about 6.76 kHz, but I think this needs more attention.

I don't see any affect on the 2.8k area from this but, as the level rolls off (similarly to my original measurements) from about 6.76 kHz, the new measurement shows a bump with a peak at 12.7k then a resumption of the rolloff almost parallel if about 5 db higher to what I saw in my original measurement. Not all that dissimilar for the original measurements, but something else has started to happen.

On some recordings, e.g:

Israel Kanakawiwo'ole's, Somewhere Over the Rainbow and
Diana Krall's, They Can't Take That Away from Me

I hear some harshness - even unsettling buzzing - that seem to come from high frequency (maybe overtones) of brass instruments, cymbals, maybe something else.s

I haven't heard this sort of thing from high voices, such as Rene Fleming's:

Der Rosenkavalier, Op. 59: "Marie Theres'!" - "Hab mir's gelobt, Ihn lieb zu haben”
Renée Fleming, Christian Thielemann, Munich Philharmonic, Sophie Koch, Diana Damrau & Franz Grundheber​

A piece I knew well from a 1960's recording with Elizabeth Schwartzkoff and George Szell and just discovered Fleming's version. I recommend it.

Hmmm....?

Maybe you have something re: the exciter area. Does it:

Exaggerate/distort some resonant frequency of the panel?
Work too hard?
Flap around some of the (previously regarded as minor) panel delaminations at a couple of edges of the panels?​

I'll post measurements as soon I can manage them.

Many thanks for your suggestions and encouragement.

-- Andreas

aagas.
I first noticed the the harsh sound on my headphones,first on the computer,then my phone,and then on my tablet,I also listened on 3 different headphones just to be sure.
I originally thought the frequency was higher up,so was surprised when it was 2.8k to maybe 3k?
The second higher pitched voice in the recording seems to set it off,I was playing it quite loudly at the time,but once noticed it was hard to ignore.
You could try placing some blu-tack in the central area of the coil and see if this reduces the sound? That's if it is the panel?
Have you down loaded the recording to your computer to see if you can hear what I am hearing?
Maybe confirm that it's the phone?
Steve.

aagas.
The blutack should be placed on the front surface area in the middle of the voice coil area.
I'd also check that the exciter isn't coming loose,this can cause strange noises and loss of hf,long before the exciter falls off.
If it's held on with sticky tape, put pressure on the exciter to help re-stick it.
Then measure to see if it has improved or not?
Steve.